Northampton Area School District
THE MORNING AFTER
A Capsule of the Board of Education's Deliberations and Actions
School Board Meeting
October 1, 2007
(Unofficial Summary Subject to Revision)
At the regular meeting of the Board of Education, Brian Leskowich presented the Transportation Report. Dr. Firestone presented Stacy Gober with a certificate for her renewal as a PA Registered School Business Administrator by the Board of Directors of the PA Association of School Business Officials. Chris Haller, D’Huy Engineering, presented an update on the three construction projects. Mrs. Erdo presented the Legislative and CIU20 reports. Shelby Smith and Lauren Verret, Student Council Board representatives, presented an update on Student Council activities.
The Board approved the following:
· Additions and deletions to the Substitute List.
· Resignation of Sandra Marakovits from the position of Special Education Instructional Assistant, effective October 2, 2007.
· Voluntary transfer of James Knittle from Café Monitor at the High School to Hall Monitor at the High School, effective retroactive to September 24, 2007.
· Unpaid childrearing leave for Diane Follweiler, Special Education Teacher at the Middle School, for the period of April 22, 2008 - PM through June 6, 2008, or the last teacher day of the 2007-08 school year.
· Revised support staff job descriptions, effective October 2, 2007: Real Estate Tax Clerk, Tax Office Clerk, and Receptionist.
· Contract of Robert Peloquin, School Police Officer.
· Revised list of instructors to conduct after-school remediation under the EAP Grant guidelines. The effective date is October 30, 2007, through the end of the 2007-2008 school year.
· Joely Pearn as a Band Indoor/Outdoor Guard Instructor, effective for the 2007-08 school year, ending June 30, 2008. Her continued employment is contingent upon receipt of acceptable Act 114 FBI clearance. Her annual stipend will be $757.00, with no additional benefits, and is in accordance with the Supplemental Reimbursement for Extra Services of the Collective Bargaining Agreement.
· Bernard Kressley as a Middle Shift Custodian (Tuesday through Saturday) at Siegfried Elementary School, effective October 2, 2007. Hourly rate will be $14.24, 80% of the current hourly rate, in accordance with the collective bargaining agreement, with benefits. Continued employment is contingent upon receipt of an acceptable Act 114 FBI Fingerprint clearance.
· Thomas Schoeneberger as a Semi-Skilled Maintenance Person, effective October 2, 2007, pending receipt of acceptable Acts 34 and 151 clearances. His continued employment is contingent upon receipt of acceptable Act 114 FBI clearance. Hourly rate will be $14.61, 80% of the current hourly rate, in accordance with the current collective bargaining agreement, with benefits.
· Attendance of Krista Kegerreis, Reading Specialist Half Time at Lehigh Elementary School and Half Time at Moore Elementary School, at the KSRA Reading Conference at the Hershey Lodge and Convention Center in Hershey, PA, on October 21-22, 2007, at an estimated cost of $420.00.
· Kimberly Kuhns as a Special Education Instructional Assistant at the Middle School, effective October 2, 2007. Salary will be $9.00 per hour, 80% of the current hourly rate, in accordance with the collective bargaining agreement, with benefits.
· Voluntary transfer of Michelle Horton from EIT clerk to Real Estate Tax Clerk, effective October 2, 2007. Her rate will be $15.39 per hour, 90% of the position rate, with benefits, in accordance with the collective bargaining agreement.
· Policy 354 - Pre-Employment Drug Testing for Administrative Employees, Policy 454 Pre-Employment Drug Testing for Professional Employees, and Policy 554 Pre-Employment Drug Testing for Noncertified Employees. All policies to be effective October 15, 2007.
· Policy 221 - Student Dress and Grooming and the Administrative Regulations, as revised. The revised policy will become effective October 2, 2007.
· Awarding of the bids and alternates for the George Wolf Renovation/Addition project, PDE Project No. 3296, totaling $14,305,100.
· Stormwater Best Management Practices for Operations and Maintenance Agreement as requested by Bath Borough on the George Wolf Elementary School property in conjunction with the renovation/addition project and the NPDES permit.
· Land Development Improvements Agreement as requested by Bath Borough on the George Wolf Elementary School property in conjunction with the renovation/ addition project.
· Land Development Maintenance Agreement as requested by Bath Borough on the George Wolf Elementary School property in conjunction with the renovation/ addition project.
· Deed of Easement as requested by Bath Borough on the George Wolf Elementary School property in conjunction with the renovation/addition project.
· Acceptance of the Quit Claim Deed from Bath Borough containing 1.9473 acres in conjunction with the George Wolf Elementary School renovation/addition project as more fully described in the Deed.
· Addendum to the standard contract for Aramark to provide foodservice management for the 2007-08 school year.
· Annual maintenance agreements with F & E Business Systems, Shillington PA, for the check signers at EIT and the Business Office, for the period 10/7/07-10/7/08 at a cost of $377.50 each.
· Bills for Payment.
· 2007-2008 Budget Transfers.
· Acceptance of the 2005-06 Earned Income Tax Audit Report as prepared by local auditors, Gorman & Associates.
· Agreement with the Weller Center, Easton, PA, to provide educational and outreach programs for students in grades K-6 during the 2007-2008 school year at an annual fee of $4,600.00.
· Formation of the Lehigh Elementary School “The Write Stuff Writer’s Group” Club under the direction of Krista Kegerreis and Jennifer Fulfaro at no cost to the District.
· Donation of a Janome 10000 Embroidery Machine and accessories from Mrs. Bonnie Dodge to the Northampton Area High School. The total value of the donation is $9,332.72.