Northampton Area School District
THE MORNING AFTER
A Capsule of the Board of Education's Deliberations and Actions
School Board Meeting
October 15, 2007
(Unofficial Summary Subject to Revision)
At the regular meeting of the Board of Education, Joseph Kovalchik introduced Team Explorer teachers who explained the "Culture of Excellence". Jamie Doyle, PFM, reviewed the bond refunding opportunity. Atty. Miller explained the options regarding the Public Library ballot question. Chris Haller, D’Huy Engineering, presented an update on the three construction projects. Mrs. Erdo presented the Legislative report. Mr. Gogel presented the Facilities Committee report. Jean Rundle presented the Safe School Committee report. Mrs. Skrapits presented the Technology Steering Committee report. Alyssa Figura, Student Council Board representative, presented an update on Student Council activities.
The Board approved the following:
· Resignation of Susan Miller from the position of Special Education Instructional Assistant at Moore Elementary School, effective October 15, 2007.
· Additions to the District Volunteer master list for the 2007-08 school year: Jennifer Booth - Lehigh, Danielle Jandris - Borough, Carissa Capwell - Borough, Frank Kovacs - Borough, Kimberly Ehritz - Lehigh, Mary Schreiber - Borough, Gregory Heist - Borough, and Edward Thierer - Borough.
· Resignation of Gwen Whildin, Assistant Swim Coach, effective October 8, 2007.
· Additions and deletions to the Substitute List.
· Revised list of staff and their compensation for After-School Detention at the High School and Middle School and Activity Bus for the 2007-08 school year (September through the end of the academic year in June). No additional benefits will be provided.
· Professional status and tenure for the following teachers who have completed three (3) years of teaching and have received six (6) satisfactory evaluations: Stephanie David - HS, Katherine Carney - MS, and Brandi Christine - Moore.
· List of After-School Homework Club Tutors and their compensation effective October 16, 2007, for the 2007-08 school year. Teachers will be utilized on a rotation basis. Compensation is in accordance with the Supplemental Reimbursement for Extra Services and is funded through the Alternative Education for Disruptive Youth Grant.
· One-to-One Instructional Assistant at the Colonel John Siegfried Elementary School for the 2007-2008 school year.
· Attendance of David Remaley, NASD Student Council Co-Advisor, and three Student Council delegates at the PASC State Conference at Shawnee Middle School in Easton, PA on November 1-3, 2007, with no cost to the school district.
· Elisabeth Fetsurka as a LTS Art Teacher at the Middle School and High School, effective January 22, 2008, through the end of the 2007-08 school year. Continued employment is contingent upon receipt of updated and acceptable Act 34 clearance. Her salary will be $41,550.00, pro-rated with benefits, based on a BA degree and Step 1, Year 1 of the current salary schedule.
· LeeAnn Hildebrand as a Hall Monitor at the High School, effective October 16, 2007. Her continued employment is contingent upon receipt of acceptable Acts 34, 151 and 114 FBI clearances. Her salary will be $9.00 per hour, 80% of the current hourly rate, in accordance with the collective bargaining agreement, with limited benefits.
· Rachael Suranofsky as a Cafe Monitor at the High School, effective October 16, 2007. Her continued employment is contingent upon receipt of acceptable Act 114 FBI clearance. Her salary will be $9.00 per hour, 80% of the current hourly rate, in accordance with the collective bargaining agreement, with no benefits.
· Corissa Craig as a TPE Special Education Teacher at Moore Elementary School, effective October 16, 2007, 2007. Salary will be $41,703.00, pro-rated with benefits, based on a BA degree and Step 2, Year 2 of the current salary schedule.
· Policy 237 - Student Electronic Devices (revised) and Policy 505 - Employment of Substitute Noncertified Employees (new). These policies shall be become effective October 16, 2007.
· Bills for Payment.
· Authorization for PFM to proceed with preparation for refunding of the General Obligation Bonds, Series 2002 and partial refunding of Series 2003.
· Tax Exonerations.
· Treasurer’s Report.
· Authorization for Berkheimer Outsourcing, Inc., Bangor, to prepare and mail the homestead applications on behalf of Northampton Area School District in accordance with Act 72 of 2004 and Act 1 of 2006 at a rate of $0.261 each, plus postage.
· Sixty-month lease with Xerox to upgrade the following copiers:
Franklin Elem Faculty Model WCP232H $310.21/mo.
Washington Elem Faculty Model WCP255H $310.21/mo.
Lehigh Elem Office Model CC123 $100.00/mo.
· Expulsion Hearing Waiver for Student Number 2007-16.