Northampton Area School District
THE MORNING AFTER
A Capsule of the Board of Education's Deliberations and Actions
School Board Meeting
November 19, 2007
(Unofficial Summary Subject to Revision)
At the regular meeting of the Board of Education, Maureen Sproul recognized student Jon Palmer as a Commended Student in the 2008 National Merit Scholarship Program and students Cody Burke and Devin Roth for their short film which took 1st place in the BAVTS Video & Media Arts film competition. Mark Thompson, MKSD, gave an update on the George Wolf Elementary School project. Chris Haller, D’Huy Engineering, presented an update on the three construction projects. Mr. Gogel presented the Facilities Committee and BAVTS reports. Shelby Smith, Student Council Board representative, presented an update on Student Council activities.
The Board approved the following:
· Resignation of Marcia Trella, Grade 4 Teacher at Moore Elementary School, for the purpose of retirement, effective June 6, 2008, or the last teacher day of the 2007-08.
· Resignation of Gregory Creyer from the position of LTS Gifted Coordinator/ Science Teacher, effective November 9, 2007.
· Additions to the District Volunteer Master List for the 2007-08 school year: Holly Christman - Borough, Matthew Frailey - Athletic, Julie Porter - Lehigh, Heidi Straker - Borough, and Colleen Weber - George Wolf.
· Resignation of Christel Ruzicka, English Teacher at the High School, effective January 17, 2008.
· Voluntary transfer of Dennis Keiser from Tuesday through Saturday Custodian at the High School to Monday through Friday Custodian at the High School, effective November 20, 2007.
· Continuation of a sabbatical for Pamela Hoffner, Gifted Coordinator and Environmental Science Teacher at the High School, for the purpose of professional development, for the remainder of the 2007-08 school year. Ms. Hoffner will return to the classroom on the first teacher day of the 2008-09 school year.
· Additions and deletions to the Substitute List.
· Resignation of Kevin Kutzler, Security Guard, effective November 19, 2007.
· Dan Benner as a LTS Social Studies Teacher at the Middle School, effective on or about January 17, 2008, through the end of the 2007-08 school year. His salary will be $41,550.00, pro-rated with benefits, based on a BA degree and Step 1, Year 1 of the current salary schedule.
· Attendance of John Bendekovits, Computer Technology Teacher in the Middle School, at the PA Educational Technology Expo and Conference in Hershey, PA, on February 11 and 12, 2008, at a cost not to exceed $632.52.
· Reorganizational transfer of Jeff Wirth from the position of Inventory Control Supervisor to Custodial Supervisor effective January 10, 2008, or upon the retirement of Erv Koch.
· Voluntary transfer of Kimberly James from Part-Time Reading Instructional Assistant at George Wolf Elementary School to Full-Time Reading Instructional Assistant at George Wolf Elementary School, effective retroactive to November 15, 2007. Salary will be $9.00 per hour, 80% of the current hourly rate, in accordance with the collective bargaining agreement, with benefits.
· Nancy Stover as a Temporary Kindergarten Instructional Assistant at George Wolf Elementary School, effective November 20, 2007, for the remainder of the 2007-08 school year. Her salary will be $9.00 per hour, 80% of the current hourly rate, in accordance with the collective bargaining agreement, with benefits.
· Kellie Ryan as a Hall Monitor at the High School, effective November 20, 2007. Her continued employment is contingent upon receipt of acceptable Act 114 FBI clearance. Her salary will be $9.00 per hour, 80% of the current hourly rate, in accordance with the collective bargaining agreement, with limited benefits.
· Ashley Greb as a Temporary One-on-One Special Education Instructional Assistant at Siegfried Elementary School, effective November 20, 2007, for the remainder of the 2007-08 school year. Salary will be $9.00 per hour, 80% of the current hourly rate, in accordance with the collective bargaining agreement, with benefits.
· Matthew Rumfield as the Assistant Boys and Girls Swimming Coach, with 5 years experience, at a compensation of 100% of the current district supplemental reimbursement totaling $3,758.00, effective for the 2007-2008 school year.
· Stipend of $3,531.00 for Patricia Gaetaniello to continue as Community Education Coordinator for the 2007-2008 school year.
· Megan Berry as a lifeguard for the 2007-08 Fall Community Education Program. Her rate will be $8.00 per hour.
· Attendance of Kurt Paccio, Director of Technology, at the annual National Education Computing Conference in San Antonio, TX, from June 28 - July 3, 2008, at an approximate cost of $1,865.00.
· Melissa Gallant as a LTS Special Education Teacher at the Middle School, effective on or about December 19, 2007, through the end of the 2007-08 school year. Her salary will be $44,844.00, pro-rated with benefits, based on a MA degree and Step 1, Year 1 of the current salary schedule.
· Acceptance of the PDE approval of PlanCon Part G: Project Accounting Based on Bids for the George Wolf Elementary Additions/Renovations Project No. 3296.
· Authorization for the Superintendent to approve change orders for the Siegfried and George Wolf Renovation/Addition projects as recommended by D’Huy Engineering and/or MKSD Architects, with retroactive Board approval, not to exceed $20,000.
· Bills for Payment.
· Awarding of the proposal for Contracted School Bus Transportation to Laidlaw Educational Services (d/b/a First Student, Inc.) for a five (5) year period starting July 2008 through June 2013 in accordance with their proposal and subject to final contract approval.
· Adoption of the Resolution authorizing the placement of a referendum on the April 22, 2008, primary election ballot with the proposition that an annual tax be established for the sole and exclusive use of funding the Northampton Area Public Library as required by Section 4402 of the Pennsylvania Library Code.
· Treasurer’s Report.
· One-year agreement with Integra Business Systems for maintenance and support of one Blue Coat security appliance at a total cost of $471.00.
· One-year maintenance agreement with Integra Business Systems for maintenance and support of a Cisco PIX 515E firewall at a total cost of $1,119.00.
· Tax Exonerations.
· Authorization for PFM to proceed with preparation for issuance of $4,000,000 in wrap-around debt through the Emmaus General Authority variable rate bond pool which is an increase of $1,000,000 over the previous authorization.
· High School Improvement Plan revision and the High School Restructuring Plan for the 2007-2008 school year.