Northampton Area School District
THE MORNING AFTER
A Capsule of the Board of Education's Deliberations and Actions
Regular Board Meeting
December 17, 2007
(Unofficial Summary Subject to Revision)
At the regular meeting of the Board of Education, a hearing was held for the Thomas Paine Charter School. Jamie Doyle, PFM, reviewed borrowing through the Emmaus bond pool. Chris Haller, D’Huy Engineering, presented an update on the construction projects. Mr. Gogel presented the Facilities Committee and BAVTS reports. Mrs. Skrapits presented the Technology Steering Committee report. Mrs. Erdo presented the CIU20 report. Nick Politi presented the NCC report. Shelby Smith presented an update on student council activities.
The Board approved the following:
· Acceptance of the resignation of Mark Marino from the position of School Police Officer, effective November 30, 2007.
· Extension of an unpaid leave for Jessica Quinones, Kindergarten Teacher at George Wolf Elementary School, for the remainder of the 2007-08 school year.
· Unpaid childrearing leave for Ann Haldaman-Dremock, Grade 4 Teacher at Moore Elementary School, from on or about March 10, 2008, through on or about March 31, 2008.
· Additions and deletions to the Substitute List.
· Acceptance of the resignation of Stacy Gober as Business Administrator/Board Secretary effective March 11, 2008, or a date mutually acceptable to Mrs. Gober and the District.
· Jeffrey Mertz as a Custodian (Tuesday through Saturday) at the High School, effective December 18, 2007. His salary will be $14.24 per hour, 80% of the current hourly rate, in accordance with the collective bargaining agreement, with benefits. Continued employment is contingent upon receipt of an acceptable Act 114 FBI Fingerprint clearance.
· Cathy Stampone as a P/T Reading Instructional Assistant at George Wolf Elementary School, effective retroactive to December 10, 2007. Continued employment is contingent upon receipt of an acceptable Act 114 FBI Fingerprint clearance. Her salary will be $9.00 per hour, 80% of the current hourly rate, in accordance with the collective bargaining agreement, no benefits.
· Voluntary transfer of Lee Strohl from Semi-Skilled Maintenance to Skilled Maintenance Substitute, effective December 18, 2007, for approximately a three-month period. His salary will be $20.88 per hour, in accordance with the collective bargaining agreement, with benefits.
· Attendance of Tara Mrazik, Mario Pasquariello, William Dovico, Andrew Lukievics, and Sarah Wascura at the District 8 DECA Conference, along with 112 DECA students, on January 3, 2008, in King of Prussia, PA. Maximum cost to the district will be $7,790.00.
· Carol Fenstermaker as a Temporary One-on-One Special Education Instructional Assistant at an off-site location, currently Asa Packer in Bethlehem, effective December 18, 2007, for the remainder of the 2007-08 school year. Her salary will be $9.00 per hour, 80% of the current hourly rate, in accordance with the collective bargaining agreement, with benefits.
· Authorization for D’Huy Engineering to design, prepare, and solicit bids for replacement of the Lehigh Elementary School HVAC system at a fee of $18,800.00 for construction administration services plus an hourly rate fee for attendance at meetings, performing site visits, and monitoring the construction schedule as outlined in the Design and Construction Administration Services Agreement.
· General construction change orders for Boro Construction on the HS project as follows:
GC-03 - $630.90 – Provide/install additional occupancy/assisted living signage as required by Northampton Boro and RFP GC-59
GC-04 - $2,242.95 - Provide 173 additional locker bases in Corridor N142 per ATP-GC19
GC-05 - $6,376.60 - Provide and install quarry tile in walk-in refrigerator/freezer per ATP-GC-22
GC-06 - $9,242.22 – Provide/install two additional roof ladders at locations shown on sketch SK-A114 per RFP-GC-45
GC-07 - $4,622.34 – Provide/install two painted ladders in boiler room E144 per sketch SK-A115 per RFP-GC-46
GC-08 - $763.46 - Demolish additional GWB/stud wall in E146, E149, remove additional casework from gym storage and PE office
GC-10 - $8,632.09 - Remove portion of existing quarry tile in existing kitchen area and infill with combimix floor leveler per RFP-GC-133R1
GC-13 - $3,807.04 - Remove existing wall coverings (NIC) in auditorium E105 and prepare walls to receive new finishes per RFP-GC-161
GC-18 - $2,901.25 – Provide/install new acoustical tile ceiling system in TV Studio E147 and IDF E150b and extend existing walls to 6: min above finish ceiling heights per RFP-GC-178
GC-19 - $1,845.12 – Provide/install new extend composition base flashing along column line 18.2 and tie in new roof drain per RFP-GC-179
GC-21 - $7,713.32 - Repair damages to existing wall surfaces due to removal of existing chalkboards under separate contract. Refer to RFP-GC-175R1
GC-22 - $2,340.81 - Remove existing VCT/install new terrazzo in corridors E136 and E197 per RFP-GC-149R1
· Agreement with Met-Ed for installation of a new electric pole, two anchor guys, underground primary wire and the new transformer, as part of the George Wolf renovation/addition project at an estimated total cost of $20,895.32.
· Awarding of the bid to supply and install intruder locks in our District buildings to Stanley Security Solutions, BEST Access Systems, Exton PA, at a cost of $89,309.23.
· Authorization for the administration to submit PlanCon Part I: Interim Reporting - Submittal No. 4 for the HS Renovation/Addition Project No. 3179.
· Mechanical change order for Worth & Company on the HS project as follows:
MC-03 - $6,573.24, Provide and install an 18 gauge galvanized steel drain pan with drain piping in maintenance E143 above existing power panels.
· Plumbing change orders for Worth & Company on the HS project as follows:
PC-05 - $8,124.93, Disconnect/reconnect fume hood fixtures to allow for ADA adjustments as required by the code official.
PC-06 - $4,248.83, Disconnect/reconnect sinks/faucets in prep rooms N229, N230, N235 and N236 to allow for ADA adjustments as required by the code official.
· Bills for Payment.
· Treasurer’s Report.
· 2007-2008 Budget Transfers.
· Upon the advice of legal counsel, agreement to establish an Irrevocable Supplemental Needs Trust Agreement in conjunction with court ordered educational services in the amount of $182,000.
· Modification of the commission for Elected Tax Collectors to a rate of $1.00 per bill collected, $0.25 per bill stuffed, and $1.00 per installment payment collected for the remainder of the four (4) year term beginning July 1, 2008, through January 3, 2010.
· Authorization for the issuance of General Obligation Bonds, Series of 2008 in the amount of $4,000,000 in wrap-around debt through the Emmaus General Authority variable rate bond pool pursuant to the Local Government Unit Debt Act of 1996.
· Tax Exonerations.
· Expulsion Hearing Waiver for High School Student Number 2007-17.