Northampton Area School District
THE MORNING AFTER
A Capsule of the Board of Education's Deliberations and Actions
Regular Board Meeting
January 7, 2008
(Unofficial Summary Subject to Revision)
At the regular meeting of the Board of Education, Dr. Brennan, Executive Director, presented the CIU20 2008-09 budget. William Gorman, Gorman & Associates, presented the 2006-07 Audit Report. Chris Haller, D’Huy Engineering, presented an update on the construction projects. Mark Thompson, MKSD, presented an update on the George Wolf project concerning water retention issues. Mrs. Erdo presented the legislative report. Shelby Smith and Lauren Verret presented updates on student council activities.
The Board approved the following:
· Revised job description for the Inventory Control Coordinator, effective January 8, 2008.
· Additions to the District Volunteer master listing for the 2007-08 school year: Donna Csencsitz - Borough and Carol McCullough - Borough.
· Additions and deletions to the Substitute List.
· Attendance of Nicole Tucker, 8th grade Reading teacher in the Middle School, at the Strategic Literacy Initiative’s Annual Reading Apprenticeship Conference at Plainsboro, New Jersey, on February 28 - March 2, 2008, at an approximate cost of $940.59.
· Attendance of Jeffrey Lantzer, High School Band Director, and high school student Nicholas Mitchell at the District Band Festival at Schuylkill Valley High School in Leesport, PA, on January 9-12, 2008. Total anticipated cost to the district is $518.00.
· Rosemarie Reinhard as a LTS Grade 4 Elementary Teacher at Moore Elementary School, effective on or about January 11, 2008, through on or about March 28, 2008. Her salary will be $225.27, per diem without benefits, based on a BA+15 degree and Step 1, Year 1 of the current salary schedule.
· Alison Stebbins as a TPE English Teacher at the High School, effective on or about January 22, 2008. Salary will be $44,844.00, pro-rated with benefits, based on a MA degree and Step 1, Year 1 of the current salary schedule.
· Andrew Peartree as a LTS Gifted Coordinator/Science Teacher at the High School, effective on or about January 22, 2008, through the end of the 2007-08 school year. His salary will be $42,350.00, pro-rated with benefits, based on a BA+15 degree and Step 1, Year 1 of the current salary schedule.
· Dennis Yost as a Security Officer, effective January 8, 2008. Continued employment is contingent upon receipt of acceptable Acts 34, 151 and 114 FBI clearances. Salary will be $15.50 per hour, without benefits.
· Valerie Korsak as a LTS Kindergarten Teacher at George Wolf Elementary School, effective January 18, 2008, for the remainder of the 2007-08 school year. Her salary will be $41,550.00, pro-rated with benefits, based on a BA degree and Step 1, Year 1 of the current salary schedule.
· Attendance of three administrators at the Penn State University Educational Career Day on April 7, 2008, at a total cost to the District of $653.41.
· Robert Peloquin as School Police Officer / Director of Security at a salary of $53,500.00, retroactive to December 1, 2007. An employment contract will be forthcoming.
· One-to-One Instructional Assistant at the Middle School for the remainder of the 2007-2008 school year or until such time as the Instructional Assistant is no longer required by the student.
· Attendance of John Blick, High School Newspaper and English teacher, Sarah Wascura, Chemistry teacher, and 14 students in the High School newspaper class at the 84th Annual Columbia Scholastic Press Convention in New York City from March 19 through March 21, 2008. The total cost to the district is $600.00.
· Revised Curricula: AP 2-D Studio Art, AP Drawing Studio Art, Computer Technology I, Computer Technology II, Computer Technology III (Website Design and Animation), Accounting I, Keyboarding II - Word Core, Marketing I, Retailing (Marketing II, Course A), Sports and Entertainment (Marketing II, Course B), and Entrepreneurship, effective July 1, 2008.
· Authorization for the administration to submit PlanCon Part I: Interim Reporting - Submittal No. 5 for the HS Renovation/Addition Project No. 3179.
· Acceptance of the approval of PlanCon Part I: Interim Reporting No. 4 for the HS Renovation/Additions Project No. 3179.
· General construction change orders for Boro Construction on the HS project following PDE approval of PlanCon Part I Submission #4 as follows:
- GC-09 - $28,605.93, Install new ceramic wall tile wainscot and ceramic floor tile over existing ceramic wall and floor tile, install new marble thresholds, undercut doors per RFP GC-121R1
- GC-11 - $16,218.08, Paint Stairs NA & NB, add accent paint per ATP-GC-20 and RFP-GC-148
- GC-12 - $19,469.67, Provide and install 6" VCB in all areas scheduled to receive 4" VCB. This occurs in all areas where existing 6” VCB was removed during demolition. Refer to RFP-GC-157
- GC-14 - $14,932.69, Provide and install all labor and materials to extend the existing concrete steps and hand railings at the baseball field to the new parking lot
- GC-15 - $46,185.23, Provide and install all labor and materials to remove the existing 1” recovery board and the top 2” layer of poly-isoinsulation (as required by the Owner’s roofing consultant) and replace with new 2” poly-isoinsulation and 1” recovery board as required per RFP-GC-171
- GC-16 - $54,445.77, Provide and install new concrete (combimix) infill (8000 SF) in existing gymnasium area to build up for new scheduled floor finishes per RFP-GC-172
- GC-17 - $62,611.62, Provide and install new concrete (combimix) infill/leveler on existing 2nd floor concrete floor slab where it was shot blasted under separate contract (asbestos abatement
- GC-23 - $12,434.97, Delete the wall type #10 column enclosures, provide and install FRG column covers at eight (8) locations. Relocate 2 existing FRG column covers per the architects direction per RFP-GC-177
- GC-24 - $10,564.20, Provide and install metal stud/GWB soffits and type #1 suspended ceilings in stairs D and F per RFP-GC-180
- GC-25 - $10,821.82, Provide and install a bent plate/bracing along the north and south walls of the existing gymnasium to provide closure to the mechanical mezzanine floor system per RFP-GC-181
· Electrical change orders for The Farfield Company in relation to the HS Renovation/ Additions project:
- EC-02 - $2,830.94 - Modify wiring to Owner’s sump pumps, connect to the new sump pump control panel per COR #26
- EC-03 - $1,600.09 - Provide power for air compressors per COR #78
- EC-04 - $1,194.92 - Provide and install additional receptacles in N232 per COR #80
- EC-06 - $4,324.03 - Provide and install power for new elevator shunt control per COR #83
- EC-07 - $2,355.91 - Provide and install shunt trip control for existing elevator per COR #84
- EC-08 - $2,000.00 - Provide and install additional countertop receptacles in rooms N230, N235 and N236 per COR #86
- EC-09 - $1,194.92 - Provide and install additional data and receptacle in room E143d per COR #91
- EC-10 - $4,687.69 - Provide and install a new switch/power to new hot water heating pumps and provide and install power to connect the power/ lighting located within AHU #8, #12, #14 and #15 per COR #94
- EC-11 - $2,079.28 - Provide and install a new 3-way switch, a new SB-32 light fixture, lower smoke detector in elevator machine room E127a, per COR #98
- EC-12 - $6,119.25 - Provide and install new duplex receptacles for safety eyewear cabinets in chemistry labs N227, N228, N231, and N232 per COR #99R
· Special education services contract with CIU20 for the 2007-08 school year in the amount of $1,343,374.55.
· Bills for Payment.
· 2007-08 annual Maintenance Agreements with Checkpoint Systems, Thorofare NJ, for the book check out systems at the HS & MS for a total district cost of $1,360.00.
· Annual Maintenance Agreement with Pitney Bowes for the Postage Machine and Scale at the District Office at a cost of $539.00, for the period February 1, 2008 - January 31, 2009.
· PenTeleData to provide Internet services at a cost of approximately $21,000.00 annually for a period of 3 years (7/01/08-6/30/11). (The cost does not reflect e-rate program discount that may be applicable).
· School World to host the District website at a cost of $9,340 per year for a period of 2 years (7/1/08-6/30/10). (The cost does not reflect e-rate program discounts that may be applicable.)
· Formation of the High School Step Team Club under the direction of Mariacruz Urtasun and Tara Mushko at no expense to the district.