Northampton Area School District
THE MORNING AFTER
A Capsule of the Board of Education's Deliberations and Actions
Regular Board Meeting
February 4, 2008
(Unofficial Summary Subject to Revision)
At a special meeting of the Board of Education on January 21, 2008, Dr. Firestone and Mrs. Gober presented updates to the 2008-09 budget.
The Board approved the following:
· Wilfred Williams as a School Police Officer, effective on or about February 6, 2008, at an annual salary of $42,000.00, with benefits. Continued employment is contingent upon receipt of acceptable Acts 34, 151 and 114 FBI clearances. An employment contract will be forthcoming.
· Ryan Mertz, Orchestra Director, to accompany high school student, Melissa Lee, to the PMEA District 10 Orchestra Festival at Southern Lehigh High School January 24-26, 2008 at an approximate cost to the district of $295.00.
· Authorization for the administration to commit Northampton Area School District’s participation in the statewide area network, PAIUnet, with estimated annual costs of $4,000.
At a special meeting of the Board of Education on January 31, 2008, Dr. Firestone and Mrs. Gober presented updates to the 2008-09 budget.
The Board approved the following:
· Terry Leh as Business Administrator in District Administration, effective on or about March 31, 2008. Continued employment is contingent upon receipt of updated and acceptable Acts 34, 151 and 114 FBI clearances, pre-employment drug test, and approval of a contract. His salary will be $103,500.00, with benefits.
At the regular meeting of the board of education on February 4, 2008, Karen Fleming presented character education at Lehigh Elementary School. Mark Thompson, MKSD, presented the architect report. Chris Haller, D’Huy Engineering, presented the engineer report. Ms. Erdo presented the CIU20 and Legislative reports. Mr. Gogel presented the Facilities Committee report. Dr. Firestone reported this would be Mrs. Gober’s last NASD Board meeting and thanked her for her ten a half years of service to the district.
The Board approved the following:
· Professional status and tenure for the following teachers who have completed three (3) years of teaching and have received six (6) satisfactory evaluations: Tammy Fox - HS, Sarah Wascura - HS, and Meghan Lloyd - Lehigh.
· Unpaid leave for Cathy Stampone, Part-Time Reading Instructional Assistant at George Wolf Elementary School, effective February 5, 2008, to on or about March 4, 2008.
· Resignation of Jean Sommer from the position of Guidance Counselor at Lehigh Elementary School. The effective date of the resignation will be in accordance with the sixty (60) day holding provision, up to March 14, 2008, or the securing of her replacement, whichever comes first.
· Resignation of Kimberly Lambert, NovaNet Instructional Assistant, effective January 31, 2008.
· Resignation of Carol Fenstermaker, Special Education Instructional Assistant, effective the end of the day, January 22, 2008.
· Addition to the District Volunteer master listing for the 2007-08 school year: Dorene Tavares - Borough.
· Resignation of Matthew Greenplate, Assistant Baseball Coach, effective January 25, 2008.
· Additions and deletions to the Substitute List.
· Revised listing of After-School Math Tutors and their compensation effective February 5, 2008, through March 27, 2008. Compensation is in accordance with the Supplemental Reimbursement for Extra Services.
· Attendance of Tara Mrazik (DECA Advisor), Curt Dimmick, Sarah Wascura, Nancy Wilkin, Andrea Wasilko, Julia Kline, Ann Harrington, Mario Pasquariello, and William Dovico (High School teachers), along with 84 DECA students, at the PA DECA State Career Development Conference February 27-29, 2008, in Hershey, PA at a maximum cost to the district of $16,891.00.
· Attendance of Chris Dyer (Prospective FBLA Advisor and Business/Computer teacher), Beth Donnelly (Business teacher), and four FBLA students at the FBLA State Competition/Conference in Hershey, PA March 30-April 2, 2008, at a total cost to the district of $2,374.00.
· Attendance of Jeff Lantzer, High School Band Director, at the Pennsylvania Music Educators State Conference to be held April 16-19, 2008, in Hershey, PA at a cost not to exceed $895.00.
· Todd Beidleman as a Temporary One-on-One Special Education Instructional Assistant at an off-site location, currently Asa Packer in Bethlehem, effective retroactive to January 24, 2008, for the remainder of the 2007-08 school year. Continued employment is contingent upon receipt of acceptable Acts 151 and 114 FBI clearances. His salary will be $9.00 per hour, 80% of the current hourly rate, in accordance with the collective bargaining agreement, with benefits.
· Establishment of After Prom Party Committee Chairperson for the 2007-08 school year with a stipend of $500 to be paid to the person employed.
· Sharon Skrapits as a Temporary One-on-One Special Education Instructional Assistant at the Middle School, effective retroactive to January 28, 2008, for the remainder of the 2007-08 school year. Her salary will be $9.00 per hour, 80% of the current hourly rate, in accordance with the collective bargaining agreement, with benefits.
· Wanda Stackhouse as a Cafeteria Monitor at Moore Elementary School, effective February 5, 2008. Continued employment is contingent upon receipt of an acceptable Act 114 FBI Fingerprint clearance. Her salary will be $9.00 per hour, 80% of the current hourly rate, in accordance with the collective bargaining agreement, no benefits.
· Contract for Mr. Wilfred Williams, School Police Officer.
· Appointment of Terry Leh, Business Administrator, to serve as Board Secretary to fill the unexpired term from March 12, 2008, through June 30, 2009, at no additional compensation.
· Michael Gellis as Inventory Control Coordinator, effective on or about February 19, 2008. His continued employment is contingent upon receipt of acceptable Acts 34, 151 and 114 FBI clearances. Hourly rate will be $17.75, 85% of the current hourly rate, in accordance with the current collective bargaining agreement, with benefits.
· Mario Pasquariello, Business Education Teacher at the High School, as the mentor for Christopher Dyer for the 2007-2008 school year at a stipend of $1,137.00 (prorated), effective November 27, 2007.
· Linda Zehner, English Teacher at the High School, as the mentor for Alison Stebbins for the 2007-2008 school year at a stipend of $1,137.00 (prorated), effective January 22, 2008.
· Payment of $395.00 to Michael Keglovits, High School Social Studies and Gifted Education Teacher, to cover his registration expense at the National Convention for Gifted Children in Minneapolis, Minnesota on November 8-11, 2007.
· Adoption of the following policies: Policy 353 - School Police Incidents, effective February 5, 2008, Policy 626 - Job Related Expenses, with a retroactive date to January 1, 2008, and Policy 717 - Tobacco Use, effective April 1, 2008. And the deletion of the following policies: Policy 3:03 - Travel Expense Reimbursement, with an effective deletion date retroactive to January 1, 2008, and Policy 5:15 - Smoking, effective March 31, 2008.
· General construction change order for Bracy Construction on the GW project as follows:
GC-01 - per unit price fee schedule, Over-excavation of unsuitable soils per specification section 02300, 3.4, F and G of the contract documents. Note: The contractor is responsible for the first 24 inches of excavation and replacement of suitable soils equal to the width of the footings as Contract Work. Unit prices are as follows:
A. Excavate and install #4 stone:
a. Up to 100 CY Unit Price: $105.00/CY
b. Greater than 100 CY Unit Price: $105.00/CY
B. Excavate and install 2A modified stone:
a. Up to 100 CY Unit Price: $100.00/CY
b. Greater than 100 CY Unit Price: $ 97.00/CY
· Acceptance of the approval of PlanCon Part I: Interim Reporting #5 for the HS Renovation/Additions Project No. 3179.
· Plumbing change orders for Worth & Company on the HS project as follows:
PC-07 - $20,115.12, Modify the sump pump systems in electrical room E002 per PCO-014.
PC-08 - $16,562.61, Provide and install eight (8) ¾” gas solenoid valves in chemistry and biology labs per PCO-019.
· Electrical change orders for The Farfield Co. on the HS project as follows:
EC-05 - $15,947.45, Provide modifications to AV system for projectors per COR #81.
EC-13 - $15,392.67, Provide and install emergency shutoff switches and gas solenoid valve wiring in chemistry labs N227, N228, N231 and N232.
EC-14 - $11,566.17, Provide and install conduits/wiring for power to the TV dimming system per COR #110.
· Agreement with UGI Utilities, Inc to extend the existing gas line at GW Elementary as part of the GW renovation/addition project at an estimated cost of $11,595.
· Authorization for the administration to submit PlanCon Part I: Interim Reporting - Submittal No. 6 for the HS Renovation/Addition Project No. 3179.
· General construction change order for Boro Construction on the HS project as follows:
GC-30 -$ 4,626.03, Provide and install a new metal panel wall system to infill the existing opening from window demo in mechanical E187 (below new HVAC louver) per RFP GC-195.
· Agreement with LunchByte Systems, Inc. to provide online prepayment processing and parent access to student lunch accounts at no cost to the School District.
· Bills for Payment.
· Service contract with IU20 to provide an Associate Specialist for direct, one-on-one services for a Northampton Area School District student attending Autistic Support classes at Lehigh Elementary during the 2007-08 school year at a cost not to exceed $30,300.00.
· 2007-2008 Budget Transfers.
· Revised base fee schedule with Gorman & Associates, Northampton, to provide Auditing Services for the fiscal year beginning July 1, 2007 through June 30, 2008, as follows:
General Fund/Single Audit $21,875 $1,500 $23,375
EIT $ 2,450 $ 400 $ 2,850
Public Library $ 2,150 $ 500 $ 2,650
· Tax Exonerations.
· Apple Computer to provide professional services, consultation, and implementation of a laptop deployment system with estimated costs of $3,600 ($1,800 per day x 2 days).
· Agreement with Lehigh University for the rental of Stabler Arena for the June 6, 2008 graduation ceremonies at a rate of $6,500.
· IDEA-B Use of Funds Agreement with CIU20 for the 2007-08 school year.
· Three (3) year service contract to Medtronic Emergency Response Systems, Inc. to provide battery and electrode replacement, testing and written reports of actions on the district’s 14 defibrillators at an annual cost of $4,088.00 for the term of 4/1/2008 through 3/31/2011.
· Service contract with IU20 to provide an Associate Specialist for direct, one-on-one services for a Northampton Area School District student attending Autistic Support classes at Lehigh Elementary beginning on or about January 24, 2008 for the remainder of the 2007-08 school year at a cost not to exceed $15,488.00.
· 2008-09 School Calendar.
· Addition of Middle School Boys and Girls Volleyball programs at a cost of $4,241.00 each, totaling $8,482.00.
· Donation of a Giant Visa Gift Card in the amount of $1,000.00 to Moore Elementary School.