Northampton Area School District
THE MORNING AFTER
A Capsule of the Board of Education's Deliberations and Actions
Regular Board Meeting
March 3, 2008
(Unofficial Summary Subject to Revision)
At the regular meeting of the Board of Education, Mark Thompson, MKSD Architects, presented the architect report. Ms. Erdo presented the legislative and CIU20 reports. Mr. Gogel presented the Facilities Committee report. Mrs. Skrapits presented the Safe School Committee report. Shelby Smith and Alyssa Figura presented an update on Student Council activities.
The Board approved the following:
· Resignation of Joshua Shilko from the position of LTS Half-Time Elementary Physical Education Teacher, effective February 14, 2008.
· Unpaid childrearing leave for Sarah Wascura, Chemistry Teacher at the High School, for the period of November 19, 2008, through the remainder of the 2008-09 school year.
· Additions and deletions to the Substitute List.
· Additions to the District Volunteer master listing for the 2007-08 school year: Eric Budge - Athletic and Lori Gober - Borough.
· Resignation of Victor Wills, Social Studies Teacher and Quest Team Leader at the Middle School, for the purpose of retirement, effective June 27, 2008.
· Lorie Christein as a LTS Grade 2 Elementary Teacher at George Wolf Elementary School, effective retroactive to February 15, 2008, through on or about May 2, 2008. Her salary will be $221.01, per diem without benefits, based on a BA degree and Step 1, Year 1 of the current salary schedule.
· Sherri Burke as a Nova Net Instructional Assistant at the High School, effective on or about March 4, 2008. Her salary will be $9.00 per hour, 80% of the current hourly rate, in accordance with the collective bargaining agreement, with benefits.
· Tara Mushko as the After-Prom Committee Chairperson at the High School, effective for the 2007-08 school year, with a total stipend of $500.00.
· Dawn Peipher as a LTS Half-Time Elementary Physical Education Teacher in the Borough Elementary Schools, effective retroactive to February 25, 2008, through the end of the 2007-08 school year. Her per diem rate will be $110.51 (50% of $221.01), without benefits, based on a BA degree and Step 1, Year 1 of the current salary schedule.
· Contract for Mr. Terry Leh, Business Administrator.
· Laura Boyko as a Tax Office Clerk in District Administration, effective March 4, 2008. Continued employment is contingent upon receipt of acceptable Act 114 FBI clearance. Her salary will be $12.80 per hour, 80% of the position rate, with benefits in accordance with the collective bargaining agreement. Also, approve that Mrs. Boyko advance to the 85% salary level, effective July 1, 2008.
· Edward Seidick as Assistant Baseball Coach at the High School, effective March 4, 2008, with 3 years experience at a compensation of 95% of the current district supplemental reimbursement of $3,819.00, totaling $3,628.00.
· Kristen Terry as a LTS English Teacher at the High School, effective retroactive to February 4, 2008, to on or about May 22, 2008. Her salary will be $221.01, per diem without benefits, based on a BA degree and Step 1, Year 1 of the current salary schedule.
· Position of a One-to-One Instructional Assistant for a student with disabilities at the Siegfried Elementary School.
· Pam Hoffner and Gene Thrash to accompany 15 high school students to the 2008 Youth Eco-Summit in Valley Forge, PA, on April 21 and 22, 2008, at a cost to the district not to exceed $2,000.00.
· One-to-One Instructional Assistant at Lehigh Elementary School for the 2007-2008 school year, retroactive to September 2007.
· Attendance of Ryan Mertz at the PMEA State Conference in Hershey, PA, on April 17-18, 2008, at a cost to the district not to exceed $ 289.00.
· Attendance of Barbara Carrington, Speech and Language Department Chair, at the Speech/Language/Hearing Association Convention in Pittsburgh, PA, from April 9-12, 2008, at a cost to the district of $1,427.00.
· Three (3) year annual service agreement with Intellibot Robotics Inc. to service the robotic floor cleaner at the High School at an annual cost of $2,600.00.
· Termination of the current five (5) year service contract with Cummins Power, Inc. for annual maintenance, load bank testing, and coolant and oil sample analysis on engine/generators at a cost not to exceed $1,000.
· Awarding of a three (3) year service contract to Engines, Inc. of Northampton, PA to provide preventative maintenance service, load bank testing, and coolant and oil sample analysis on engine/generators at an annual cost of $2,876.00.
· Acceptance of the approval of PlanCon Part I: Interim Reporting #6 for the HS Renovation/ Additions Project No. 3179.
· General construction change orders, as approved by PDE, for Boro Construction on the HS project:
GC-26 - $26,737, Modify wall finishes in art E131, E132, FCS E133 and E134
GC-27 - $63,833, Provide new metal panel wall system in mechanical Room E202
GC-28 - $64,298, Modify existing locker bases, hoods, end panels and wood blocking as noted on drawing SK-A137
GC-29 - $34,806, Install new terrazzo flooring in corridor E158; modify door E149A; infill existing hardwood flooring from existing equipment demo
GC-31 - $28,889, Remove portions of existing structural steel beams in conflict with new door openings
· Authorization for the administration to submit PDE-3074 - Self Certification Application for Non Reimbursable Construction Projects for the HVAC replacement at Lehigh Elementary School.
· Electrical change orders for The Farfield Company as part of the HS Renovation/Additions project:
EC-15 - $2,271.94 - Add UPS circuits per COR 105
EC-16 - $2,178.20 - Re-connect existing site light near stadium per COR 108
EC-17 - $4,288.71 - Provide and Install wall clocks in kitchen per COR 112
EC-18 - $2,389.83 - Provide and Install receptacles in E131 per COR 113
EC-19 - $3,364.57 - Provide power for existing receptacles per COR 114
EC-20 - $3,648.22 - Add exit signs for L&I inspection per COR 115
EC-21 - $4,896.19 - Relocate existing Panel F (ATP EC-6) per COR 117
EC-22 - $ 938.45 - Install WA-52 at exterior door E167 per COR 122
EC-23 - $2,618.33 - Re-feed existing display cases per COR 124
EC-24 - $1,160.28 - Add tele/ data jack in E133a per COR 126
EC-25 - $ 420.19 - Provide flush mounted speaker per COR 127
EC-26 - $ 597.45 - Provide and Install receptacle in E104 per COR 129
EC-27 - $ 479.85 - Replace receptacle in E102c per COR 130
EC-28 - $ 597.45 - Provide and Install receptacle in Corridor E158 per COR 132
EC-29 - $1,194.92 - Provide and Install receptacles in E138a and E138b per COR 135
Estate Tax Exonerations: Tax Amt. Reason
M4-2-5B Borough of Northampton 2007 $45.03 Tax exempt entity
L3-4-3-99 Borough of Northampton 2007 $45.03 Tax exempt entity
L3-4-3-67C Borough of Northampton 2007 $45.03 Tax exempt entity
· Bills for Payment.
· 2007-08 Budget Transfers.
· Expulsion Hearing Waiver for High School student number 2008-04.
· Elementary and secondary faculty meeting dates for the 2008-2009 school year.
· Organization of the Northampton High School Bowling League, which will meet under the direction of Mr. Cornelius McHugh, at no expense to the district.