Northampton Area School District
THE MORNING AFTER
A Capsule of the Board of Education's Deliberations and Actions
Regular Board Meeting
March 17, 2008
(Unofficial Summary Subject to Revision)
At the regular meeting of the Board of Education, Chris Haller, D’Huy Engineering, presented updates on the construction projects. Mr. Gogel presented the BAVTS report. Mrs. Rundle presented the Policy Committee report. Nick Politi presented the NCC report. Lauren Verret presented an update on Student Council activities.
The Board approved the following:
· Job descriptions, effective March 18, 2008: Guidance Counselor, School Nurse, Music Teacher, ESL Teacher, IST Teacher, Reading Specialist, Speech Language Pathologist, and Assistant Superintendent for Personnel and General Administration.
· Revision of William Falstich’s effective date of his retirement to June 27, 2008.
· Unpaid childrearing leave for Alexandrea Spalding, Kindergarten Teacher at Washington Elementary School, for the period of November 19, 2008, through the end of the first semester of the 2008-09 school year.
· Resignation of Carla Conner, Instructional Support Teacher at Siegfried Elementary School, for the purpose of retirement, effective June 27, 2008.
· Resignation of Jayne Miller, Cafeteria Employee, for the purpose of retirement, effective June 27, 2008.
· Resignation of Thomas Petro, Golf Coach, effective June 30, 2008.
· Addition to the District Volunteer master listing for the 2007-08 school year: Lori Erschen - Borough.
· Attendance of Board Member Jane Erdo at the PSBA Legislative Advocacy Conference in Harrisburg, PA on May 18-19, 2008, at an estimated cost of $500.26.
· Attendance of Mike Schneider, Athletic Director, at the Pennsylvania State Athletic Directors’ Association 41st Annual Conference in Hershey, PA on March 26-29, 2008, with a district cost of $758.00.
· Attendance of Jennifer Werley, 12-month secretary at Moore Elementary School, and Carol Raikes, 12-month secretary at the Northampton Borough Elementary Schools, at the Educational Office Professionals Conference in State College, PA, on April 17-18, 2008, at a total cost to the district of approximately $1,473.96.
· Appointment of Mr. Joseph S. Kovalchik to the position of Assistant Superintendent for Personnel and General Administration, effective July 1, 2008, through June 30, 2013, at a base salary of $109,000.00 for the 2008-09 school year.
· Employment Agreement for Mr. Joseph S. Kovalchik, Assistant Superintendent for Personnel and General Administration, effective July 1, 2008, through June 30, 2013.
· Attendance of Dr. Linda Firestone at the 2008 Institute for Middle Level Leadership Conference, July 13-16, 2008, in Colorado Springs, CO, at an approximate cost of $1,787.00.
· Attendance of Tara Mrazik (DECA Advisor), three additional chaperones (Mr. and Mrs. Mario Pasquariello and Mrs. Ann Harrington), and 29 members of the Northampton Area High School DECA organization to the DECA ICDC (International Career Development Conference) competition in Atlanta, GA, on April 25-30, 2008. Total cost of the trip to the district is $16,382.59.
· Attendance of Krista Feliciani at the Pennsylvania Music Educators’ Association State Conference in Hershey, PA, on April 17-18, 2008, at a cost to the district not to exceed $175.00.
· Andrea Orlando as a Temporary One-on-One Special Education Instructional Assistant at Lehigh Elementary, effective March 18, 2008, for the remainder of the 2007-08 school year. Her salary will be $9.00 per hour, 80% of the current hourly rate, in accordance with the collective bargaining agreement, with benefits.
· Adoption of the following policies, to be effective March 18, 2008: Policy 222 - Tobacco Use, Policy 234 - Pregnant Students, Policy 247 - Hazing, Policy 251- Homeless Students, and Policy 505 - Employment of Substitute Noncertified Employees. And the deletion of Policy 5:15 - Smoking that can be found in the Board Policy Book as PSBA Policy 222.
· 2008-09 Concurrent Enrollment Agreements between 1) NASD & Northampton Community College and 2) NASD & DeSales University.
· Program of Studies Addendum: AP European History.
· Submission of PlanCon Part K: Project Refinancing for the 2008 Refunding Issue, which partially refunded the 2002 and 2003 Series.
· Bills for Payment.
· Treasurer’s Report.
· Tax Exonerations.
· Tuition rates of $225.00 per two-hour course for resident students and $275.00 per two-hour course for non-resident students for the summer school program. Tuition costs for courses less than or greater than two hours will be pro-rated.
· Laura Pieroni-Flores to serve as a translator for the School District when dealing with families who speak Spanish with a professional fee for services of $45.00 per hour.
· Revised elementary and secondary faculty meeting dates for the 2008-2009 school year.
· $500 donation from the Bath Lioness Club and recognition of the generosity of the organization. The money will be designated as a technology expenditure.
· Expulsion Hearing Waiver for High School student number 2008- 02.
· Donation of a restored King saxophone valued at $675.00 from Mr. and Mrs. Albert Schisler.