Northampton Area School District
THE MORNING AFTER
A Capsule of the Board of Education's Deliberations and Actions
Regular Board Meeting
April 7, 2008
(Unofficial Summary Subject to Revision)
At the regular meeting of the Board of Education, Mr. Dixon, Vo-Tech teacher at the Northampton Campus, introduced students and their projects, which were winners in the Skills USA competition. Ronald Reed was acknowledged as the recipient of the 2007-08 Voice of Democracy Teacher of the Year award and student Katie Derkits read her 1st place essay “My Role in Honoring America’s Veterans”. Mark Thompson, MKSD Architects, presented an update on the George Wolf project. Chris Haller, D’Huy Engineering, presented photographs of the George Wolf and Siegfried construction projects. Mr. Gogel presented the BAVTS and Facilities Committee reports. Ms. Erdo presented the CIU20 and Legislative reports. Nick Politi presented the NCC report. Alyssa Figura presented an update on Student Council activities.
The Board approved the following:
· Additions and deletions to the Substitute List.
· Resignation of Beth Petrow, School Play Advisor, Musical Director and Musical Set Design Advisor, effective June 30, 2008.
· Resignation of Cheryl Newton, Social Studies Teacher at the Middle School, for the purpose of retirement, effective July 28, 2008.
· Revision of Darrell Crook’s effective date of his retirement to June 27, 2008.
· Additions to the District Volunteer master listing for the 2007-08 school year: Jeffrey Adams - Band/Chorus, Philip Reinsmith - Band/Chorus, and Todd Brosious - Athletic.
· Mandi Smith and Nicole Jones, Dance Team Coaches, and Angie Schaffer and Jenna Sterner, Twirler Coaches, to chaperone 19 students who will participate in the Dance and Twirling Championship Competition to be held in Wildwood, NJ, on May 1-4, 2008 at an approximate cost of $3,080.00.
· Attendance of Kathleen Ott, Director of Data, Grants, and Special Programs, and Robert Peloquin, District Police Chief, at the PA Department of Education, Safe Schools Conference in Harrisburg, PA, on May 5, 6 and 7, 2008, at a total cost of $620.00. Conference attendance costs are part of the 2008 Safe Schools Initiative grant allocation awarded to Northampton Area School District.
· Participation of one NASD team at the State Odyssey of the Mind competition in Altoona, PA on April 12, 2008, at a cost not to exceed $ 1,036.25.
· Stipend of $1,000 for Rose Roberts for performing business administrator duties as a result of the resignation of Stacy Gober.
· Lori Gibbs as Principal of the Borough Elementary Schools, effective July 1, 2008, pending receipt of new Act 114 and updated Act 34 and 151 clearances. Salary will be $96,000.00, with benefits, and in accordance with the Act 93 Agreement.
· Attendance of Silke Keeler, Network Specialist, at system administration technical training in Myerstown, PA, from June 10-13, 2008, at an approximate cost of $2,201.60.
· Sarah Whitworth, Moore Guidance Counselor, as the mentor for Jennifer Borzillo for the remainder of the 2007-2008 school year at a stipend of $1,137.00 (prorated), effective April 21, 2008.
· Alyce Daubenspeck to participate in the Pennsylvania Music Educators State Conference to be held April 16-18, 2008, in Hershey, PA, at a cost not to exceed $243.55.
· Plumbing change order for Worth and Company as part of the Siegfried Elementary School Project:
PC-03 - $9,255.88 - Modify sanitary piping for food service equipment per PCO-6R
· General construction change orders for Boro Construction as part of the HS Renovation/Additions project:
GC-32 - $3,327.22 - Relocate construction fencing per Owners direction and per RFP GC-160
GC-33 - $1,045.73 - Provide and install a wood guardrail at 2nd floor in Stair Nb per Owner’s direction and per RFP GC-156R1
GC-34 - $9,649.04 - Modify existing gutters and leaders outside E102 per RFP GC-197
GC-35 - $1,835.93 - Provide and install maple valances in all display cases at light fixtures per RFP GC-203
GC-36 - $7,045.46 - Revise floor finishes in E150, 150a, and 150b due to existing conditions and per RFP GC-215
GC-37 - $7,735.09 - Provide and install 175’ of new 8-foot fence with one (1) 8-foot double gate per RFP GC-218
GC-38 - $8,600.35 - Provide and install new soffits and fire rated ceilings in Stairs ‘B’ and ‘C’ per RFP GC-220
GC-39 - $ 334.97 - Provide and install backer plates to all room signs that were installed on the glazing per code official’s requirements per RFP GC-222
GC-40 - $ 964.90 - Provide and install fire rated suspended ceiling systems in E151c and E123a per RFI 202 per RFP GC-223
GC-43 - $2,578.93 - Remove cracked grout joints, install sikaflex sealant
GC-44 - $2,076.50 - Remove two (2) existing wood platforms from above the Auditorium, E105, ceiling
· Electrical change orders for The Farfield Company as part of the HS Renovation/ Additions project:
EC-30 - $3,585.00 - Add additional receptacles and data E227 and E229 per RFI EC-80
EC-31 - $ 613.00 - Add H/L TV outlet in E233 per RFI EC-78
EC-32 - $5,875.00 - Add four (4) RI-64’s in canopy per RFI EC-146
EC-33 - $4,717.00 - Provide and install a 400A breaker per RFI EC-158
EC-34 - $ 949.00 - Reconnect existing outlets per RFI EC-167
EC-35 - $ 587.00 - Demo existing equipment per RFI EC-175
EC-36 - $4,632.00 - Additional panel to existing dimmer panel
EC-37 - $ 597.00 - Modify display case lighting per RFI EC-180
EC-38 - $ 597.00 - Add receptacle in E138A per RFI C-181
EC-39 - $1,792.00 - Add receptacles in E106b per RFI EC-184
EC-40 - $1,792.00 - Add additional data drops in E107 per RFI EC-185
EC-41 - $ 597.00 - Add receptacle in E107b per RFI EC-186
EC-42 - $1,195.00 - Add receptacle in E127a and E126 per RFI EC-187
EC-43 - $4,360.00 - Add control wiring for Emergency Only lights per RFI EC-189
EC-44 - $1,591.00 - Re-feed existing elevator pit per RFI EC-192
EC-45 - $1,195.00 - Add power for sound system per RFI EC-194
EC-46 - $2,390.00 - Add phones / Ethernet to E187, E143 and N225
EC-47 - $2,390.00 - Add receptacles in E207, E208, E209 and E210
EC-48 - $ 597.00 - Add receptacle in E102A per RFI EC-199
· Three (3) year service agreement with Trane, of Northeastern Pennsylvania, for the two (2) chillers at the High School in the amount of $7,323.00 annually.
· Three (3) year service agreement with Trane, of Northeastern Pennsylvania, for the chiller, cooling tower, and refrigerant monitor at George Wolf Elementary School in the amount of $4,961.00 annually.
· Awarding of the bid for Lehigh Elementary School HVAC project to ASL Refrigeration, of Bethlehem, in the amount of $196,999.
· Submission of PDE-3074 - Self Certification Application for Non-Reimbursable Construction Projects for the floor and mastic removal at the Washington Elementary School.
· Submission to PDE of PlanCon Part I: Interim Reporting - Submittal No. 7 for the High School Renovation/Addition Project No. 3179.
· Bills for Payment.
· Revised Tax Exonerations.
· Alternate billing agreement for the Northampton Community College for the 2008-09 budget.
· 2007-2008 Budget Transfers.
· Tax Exonerations.
· Authorization for the administration to advise the public on the website and make available for public inspection the 2008-09 General Fund Proposed Budget.
· Expulsion Hearing Waiver for High School student number 2008- 03.
· Expulsion Hearing Waiver for High School student number 2008- 07.
· Donation of supplies and services from Brian Wildes, Xerox representative.