Northampton Area School District
THE MORNING AFTER
A Capsule of the Board of Education's Deliberations and Actions
Regular Board Meeting
November 17, 2008
(Unofficial Summary Subject to Revision)
At the regular meeting of the Board of Education, Chris Haller, D”Huy Engineering, presented a video walk-through of the George Wolf project. Mr. Kovalchik presented the Policy and Safe School Committee reports. Mr. Gogel presented the BAVTS report. Mr. Politi presented the NCC report. Andrea Figura presented an update on Student Council activities.
The Board approved the following:
· Unpaid childrearing leave extension for Alexandrea Spalding, Kindergarten Teacher at Franklin Elementary School, through on or about March 31, 2009.
· Half-year sabbatical for Jeffrey Seip, Teacher at Siegfried Elementary School, for the purpose of professional development, for the second semester of the 2008-09 school year. Mr. Seip will return to the classroom on the first teacher day of the 2009-2010 school year.
· Resignation of Stephanie Dunbar from the position of Library Instructional Assistant at Lehigh Elementary School, effective no later than November 26, 2008.
· Unpaid childrearing leave for Therese Wescott, Speech & Language Support Teacher at George Wolf Elementary School, for the period of November 10, 2009, through the remainder of the 2009-2010 school year.
· Updated job descriptions for the following positions: Regular Education Instructional Assistant, Special Education Instructional Assistant, Natatorium Instructional Assistant, Elementary Library Instructional Assistant, Hall Monitor, and Cafeteria Monitor.
· Additions to the District Volunteer master listing for the 2008-09 school year: Catherine Bodnar - Lehigh, Karyn DiOdoardo - Lehigh, Krystle Kusmider - Swimming/Middle School, Polly Schoeneberger - George Wolf, Lynn Tepes - Borough, and Carol Young - Moore.
· Rescinding of employment for Linda Clinger.
· Additions and deletions to the Substitute List.
· Revised list of instructors and compensation to conduct after-school remediation under the EAP Grant guidelines. The effective date is October 22, 2008, through March 31, 2009. Their hourly rates will be adjusted upon the settlement of the new NAEA collective bargaining agreement.
· Regina Lastra as Musical Choreographer at the High School, effective November 18, 2008. Continued employment is contingent upon receipt of acceptable Act 114 clearance. Her reimbursement will be $2,048.00, no benefits. Her stipend will be adjusted upon the settlement of the new NAEA collective bargaining agreement.
· Nichole Hamburg, Assistant Boys & Girls Swimming Coach at the High School, effective November 18, 2008, with 0 years experience at a compensation of 80% of the current district supplemental reimbursement, totaling $3,006.00. Her salary will be adjusted upon the settlement of the new NAEA collective bargaining agreement.
· Amy Szarawarski as a LTS Elementary Guidance Counselor for the Borough Elementary Schools, effective on or about January 5, 2009, through on or about April 28, 2009. Her salary will be $241.19, per diem without benefits, based on a MA +15 degree and Step 1, Year 1 of the current salary schedule. Her salary will be adjusted upon the settlement of the new NAEA collective bargaining agreement.
· Kelly Allabach as a LTS Grade 5 Elementary at Lehigh Elementary School, effective on or about January 9, 2009, through on or about April 6, 2009. Her salary will be $225.27, per diem without benefits, based on a BA +15 degree and Step 1, Year 1 of the current salary schedule. Her salary will be adjusted upon the settlement of the new NAEA collective bargaining agreement.
· Attendance of Tara Mrazik, Martin Lynn, Richard Silvius, Alison Kowalick, Tara Mushko, and Julia Kline, along with 117 DECA students, at the District 8 DECA Conference on December 18, 2008, in King of Prussia, PA at a maximum cost to the district of $8,012.00.
· Awarding of contract to Cope Carpet for removal and installation of carpeting at Col. John Siegfried Elementary School at a cost of $25,674.27.
· General construction change orders for Boro Construction as part of the High School Renovation/Additions project:
GC-73 - $9,307.67 - Provide and install new full height doors for the band room storage cabinets as requested by the Owner, RFP GC271.
GC-74 - $8,333.78 - Provide all labor and materials to remove the existing chimney and to provide a weatherproof ‘cap’ as requested by the Owner, RFP GC282.
GC-75 - $7,722.95 - Provide and install a wire mesh partition under the 1st floor intermediate landing in Stair ‘C’ to allow access to the new cabinet heater at a cost of $2,508.73, due to omission; RFP GC255. Provide and install new GWB partitions and corner guards in Stair’s B, C and D for the installation of the magnetic hold-open devices on the 1st and 2nd floors per ATP GC-26 at a cost of $5,214.22, per RFP GC276; due to omission.
GC-76 - $8,721.40 - Delete the new door system (credit) and provide and install a new metal panel wall system to close off Corridor E197a (no longer required by the Owner), per RFP GC 258. This space will become ‘Planning’ E197a per RFP GC-90 as requested by the Owner with a net cost of $5,585.64. Provide and install a GWB fire rating to existing wood framing discovered in the ceiling area of Digital Computer Lab E147 per the Code Officials requirements at a cost of $3,135.76, per RFP GC274. This existing material was uncovered during the removal of the existing ‘transite’ soffit within this space - Unforeseen Condition.
GC-77 - $6,483.91 - Provide and install four (4) additional pipe bollards at the main entrance area as required by the Code Official at a cost of $3,634.33, per RFP GC265. Modify the ambulatory toilet stalls in E139, E140 and N138, N140 as required by the Code Official at a cost of $2,849.58, per RFP GC267.
GC-78 - $6,897.03 - Provide and install a wire mesh partition w/ lockable gates in Stair ‘D’ (to eliminate student access to the area above the 2nd floor and to the basement) as requested by the Owner, per RFP GC290.
· General construction change order for Bracy Contracting, Inc. as part of the George Wolf Renovation project:
GC-10 - $13,968.50 - Balance remaining for the installation of an inverted filter in newly constructed parking lot.
· Authorization for the administration to submit PlanCon Part I: Interim Reporting - Submittal No. 13 for the High School Renovation/Addition Project No. 3179.
· Catalog Fixed Discount Program as awarded by the IU20 Joint Purchasing Board for the period January 1, 2009, through December 31, 2009.
· Bills for Payment.
· Treasurer’s Report.
· 403(b) Plan Document/Adoption Agreement/ and Resolution with an effective date of January 1, 2009, with the provision that any additions or deletions from the original list of approved vendors be approved by TSA Consulting Group and the Business Administrator.
· Tax Exonerations.
· Election of the following to fill the vacancy on the Northampton Community College Board of Trustees, to fill the unexpired term of Joseph L. Craig, effective immediately through June 30, 2012: Ms. Loretta M. Leeson, Bethlehem Area School District.