Northampton Area School District
THE MORNING AFTER
A Capsule of the Board of Education's Deliberations and Actions
Regular Board Meeting
January 12, 2009
(Unofficial Summary Subject to Revision)
At the regular meeting of the Board of Education, Susan Werkheiser presented the “Bucket Filling” philosophy at Moore Elementary School. Dr. Firestone reported that January is School Director Recognition Month and Board members were presented with certificates of appreciation and gifts for their service to the District. Mr Hume presented a cost comparison for graduation venues. Chris Haller, D’Huy Engineering, presented a brief update on the High School project. Dr. Ott reported on the recently received grants. Ms. Erdo presented the Legislative and CIU20 reports. Mr. Kovalchik presented the Policy Committee report. Mr. Politi presented the NCC report. Alyssa Figura presented an update on Student Council activities.
The Board approved the following:
· Unpaid childrearing leave for Rachel Schrampf, Grade 1 teacher at Lehigh Elementary School, for the period beginning approximately September 11, 2009, through the end of the 3rd marking period of the 2009-2010 school year.
· Resignation of Megan Haldaman from the position of One-to-One Special Education Instructional Assistant at the High School, effective the end of the day, January 8, 2009.
· Unpaid childrearing leave extension for Heather Miller, Kindergarten Teacher at Moore Elementary School, through the remainder of the 2008-09 school year.
· Additions to the District volunteer master list for the 2008-09 school year: Amy Deutsch - Borough and Edward J. Ohlson - Athletic.
· Additions and deletions to the Substitute List.
· Revised list of After-School Math Tutors and their compensation effective January, 2009, through March, 2009. Compensation is in accordance with the Supplemental Reimbursement for Extra Services.
· Adjustment for Lorie Dotter to long-term per diem substitute status, with the per diem rate of $249.81, based on Step 1 of the Master’s + 30 column of the collective bargaining agreement. Her effective date is retroactive to October 6, 2008, until January 5, 2009.
· Continuation of Kathleen Bendekovits as a LTS Kindergarten Teacher in the Borough, effective January 26, 2009, through the end of the 3rd marking period of the 2008-09 school year. Her salary will be $42,404.00, pro-rated with benefits, based on a BA degree and Step 1, Year 1 of the 2008-09 salary schedule.
· Lori Rehrig as a One-to-One Special Education Instructional Assistant at Lehigh Elementary School, effective retroactive to January 5, 2009. Her salary will be $9.36 per hour, 80% of the current hourly rate, in accordance with the collective bargaining agreement, with benefits.
· Addition of one new full time custodian position at the high school.
· Attendance of Dr. Linda Firestone at the 2009 CIU20 Superintendent Legislative Workshop on February 5-6, 2009, at The Hotel Hershey at a cost not to exceed $350.00.
· One-to-One Instructional Assistant for a special needs student at Moore Elementary School.
· Matthew Lloyd as a Temporary One-to-One Special Education Instructional Assistant at Moore Elementary School, effective January 13, 2009, for the remainder of the 2008-09 school year. Continued employment contingent upon receipt of acceptable Act 114 clearance. His salary will be $9.36 per hour, 80% of the current hourly rate, in accordance with the collective bargaining agreement, with benefits.
· Jocelyn Schafer as a LTS Elementary Technology Teacher at Siegfried Elementary School, effective January 26, 2009, for the remainder of the 2008-09 school year. Her salary will be $43,204.00, pro-rated with benefits, based on a BA +15 degree and Step 1, Year 1 of the current salary schedule.
· Ryan Mertz, Orchestra Director, to accompany high school student, Melissa Lee, to the PMEA District 10 Orchestra Festival at Northwestern Lehigh High School on February 4 -7, 2009 at an approximate cost to the district of $194.00.
· Attendance of John Bendekovits, Middle School Technology Teacher, at the Pennsylvania Educational Technology Expo & Conference in Hershey, PA, on February 9-10, 2009, at an approximate cost of $666.00.
· Attendance of Mike Schneider, Athletic Director, at the Pennsylvania State Athletic Directors’ Association 42nd Annual Conference in Hershey, PA on March 25-28, 2009, at a total cost to the district of $751.00.
· Attendance of Jason Winchenbach, Guidance Counselor, at the annual visit to Marine Boot Camp on March 10-13, 2009 (Tuesday - Friday) at Parris Island, South Carolina, at no cost to the district.
· Rejection of all bids for the Moore Elementary School - HVAC Building Automation System as received on December 15, 2008.
· Electrical change order for Wind Gap Electric as part of the Col. John Siegfried Elementary School project:
EC-05 - ($2,200.00) - Credit change order to be deducted from the remaining unused allowance balance.
· General construction change orders for Perrotto Builders as part of the Col. John Siegfried Renovation project:
GC-23 - $ 944.80 - Provide all labor and materials required to remove the existing vault door and infill the opening w/ a painted GWB partition per CCPR-122 (omission).
GC-24 - $1,247.18 - Provide and install a new exterior type expansion joint between the new and existing buildings (at the Maintenance area) per CCPR-129 (omission).
· “In Lieu of FAPE Agreement” for a special education student.
· 2008-2009 Budget Transfers.
· Adoption of the resolution relating to Act 1 certifying that the Board shall not increase any tax at a rate that exceeds the index as calculated by the Pennsylvania Department of Education for the 2009-10 fiscal year.
· Authorization for the administration to prepare and solicit bids for the following FY2009-10 services and supplies: Maintenance/ Custodian Supplies, Instructional/ General Supplies, Athletic Supplies, Gasoline/ Diesel, and Fuel Oil/ Natural Gas.
· Bills for Payment.
· Contract with Words for the Eyes at a cost of $48.00 per hour (two hour minimum) to be used as needed.
· Adoption of the resolution notifying Northampton County Tax Claim Bureau that we have contracted with a third party collector, Portnoff Law Associates, to collect the District’s 2008 delinquent real estate taxes.
· Amendment to Articles of Agreement of Bethlehem Area Vocational-Technical School, Paragraph Six (6) (b) (Area Vocational-Technical School Committee), which amends the existing agreement dated June 30, 1995.
· 2009-2010 NASD School Calendar.
· Expulsion Hearing Waiver for High School student number 2008-11.
· Appointment of the following Northampton Area Public Library Trustees at the recommendation of the NAPL Board of Trustees:
- Judy Odenwelder, 7192 Airport Road, Bath, Pa 18014 from January 2009 to December 2011
- Dorothy Ambrosino, 150 Lack Lane, Bath, PA 18014 from January 2009 to December 2011
- Mr. Lynn Ditty, 1325 Granger Road, Northampton, PA 18067 to fill the position vacated by Lisa Maderic who does not wish to renew. The term would run from
January 2009 to December 2011.