Northampton Area School District
THE MORNING AFTER
A Capsule of the Board of Education's Deliberations and Actions
Regular Board Meeting
February 9, 2009
(Unofficial Summary Subject to Revision)
At the regular meeting of the Board of Education, Jamie Doyle, PFM, and Atty. Kevin Reid, Bond Counsel, reviewed the Series of 2009 General Obligation Bonds Sale. Mr. Conner presented the PSSA Science Assessments. Ms. Erdo presented the Legislative and CIU20 reports. Mrs. Rundle presented the Policy and Athletic Facilities Committee reports. Mr. Gogel presented the Facilities Committee report. Mr. Schneider presented recent activities in Athletics. Mr. Koch presented the BAVTS report. Mr. Politi presented the NCC report.
The Board approved the following:
· Resignation of Devon Whiteman from the position of Special Education Instructional Assistant at the Middle School, effective the end of the day, February 27, 2009.
· Voluntary transfer of Anthony Messina from 2nd shift Custodian at George Wolf Elementary School to 3rd shift Custodian at the High School, effective February 10, 2009.
· Resignation of Elaine Schaeffer, Music Teacher at George Wolf and Moore Elementary Schools, for the purpose of retirement, effective June 16, 2009, or the last teacher day of the 2008-09 school year.
· Resignation of Shirley Berghold, Elementary Teacher at Lehigh Elementary School, for the purpose of retirement, effective June 16, 2009, or the last teacher day of the 2008-09 school year.
· Resignation of Lowell Fehnel, Elementary Teacher at Lehigh Elementary School, for the purpose of retirement, effective June 16, 2009, or the last teacher day of the 2008-09 school year, but no later than June 29, 2009.
· Additions and deletions to the Substitute List.
· Addition to the District Volunteer master listing for the 2008-09 school year: Debra DeAngeles - HS Band/Chorus.
· Tenure and professional status for Maria Rossillo, George Wolf Elementary School, who has completed three years of teaching in Northampton Area School District and has received six satisfactory evaluations.
· Positions of Special Education Teacher and Instructional Assistant to be split between Lehigh Elementary School and Moore Elementary School.
· Position of a One-to-One Instructional Assistant for a student with disabilities at the Colonel John Siegfried Elementary School.
· Attendance of Sherry Chamberlain, Technology Office Assistant, and Kurt Paccio, Director of Technology, at Classrooms for the Future technical training in Allentown, PA, from February 17-19, 2009, at an estimated cost of $99.40.
· Position of a temporary special education teacher at the Colonel John Siegfried Elementary School for the remainder of the 2008-2009 school year.
· 2009-2010 Concurrent Enrollment Agreements between: 1) NASD & Northampton Community College, and 2) NASD & DeSales University.
· General construction change orders, as revised, for Boro Construction as part of the High School Renovation/ Additions project:
GC-73 - $9,307.67 - Provide and install new full height doors for the band room storage cabinets as requested by the Owner, RFP GC271.
GC-74 - $8,333.78 - Provide all labor and materials to remove the existing chimney and to provide a weatherproof ‘cap’ as requested by the Owner, RFP GC282.
GC-75 - $7,722.95 - Provide and install a wire mesh partition under the 1st floor intermediate landing in Stair ‘C’ to allow access to the new cabinet heater at a cost of $2,508.73, due to omission; RFP GC255. Provide and install new GWB partitions and corner guards in Stair’s B, C and D for the installation of the magnetic hold-open devices on the 1st and 2nd floors per ATP GC-26 at a cost of $5,214.22, per RFP GC276; due to omission.
GC-76 - $8,721.40 - Delete the new door system (credit) and provide and install a new metal panel wall system to close off Corridor E197a (no longer required by the Owner), per RFP GC 258. This space will become ‘Planning’ E197a per RFP GC-90 as requested by the Owner with a net cost of $5,585.64. Provide and install a GWB fire rating to existing wood framing discovered in the ceiling area of Digital Computer Lab E147 per the Code Officials requirements at a cost of $3,135.76, per RFP GC274. This existing material was uncovered during the removal of the existing ‘transite’ soffit within this space - Unforeseen Condition.
GC-77 - $6,438.91 - Provide and install four (4) additional pipe bollards at the main entrance area as required by the Code Official at a cost of $3,634.33, per RFP GC265. Modify the ambulatory toilet stalls in E139, E140 and N138, N140 as required by the Code Official at a cost of $2,849.58, per RFP GC267.
GC-78 - $6,897.03 - Provide and install a wire mesh partition w/ lockable gates in Stair ‘D’ (to eliminate student access to the area above the 2nd floor and to the basement) as requested by the Owner, per RFP GC290.
· Authorization for the Administration to solicit bids for the replacement of the High Schools soffits.
· Electrical change order for Wind Gap Electric as part of the Col. John Siegfried Elementary School project:
EC-06 - ($1,500.00) - Credit change order to be deducted from the remaining unused allowance balance.
· General construction change order for Perrotto Builders as part of the Col. John Siegfried Renovation project:
GC-25 - $1,435.69 - Provide all labor and materials required to remove the existing brake metal panel and “WOLF” lettering that was located over the existing main entrance and install a new brake metal panel as requested by the Owner. Note that the new lettering to read: “MAIN ENTRANCE” was provided and installed by NASD.
· Bills for Payment.
· Commission for Elected Tax Collectors to a rate of $1.25 per bill collected, $0.30 per bill stuffed and $1.25 per installment payment collected for the four (4) year period 2010-2014.
· Authorization for the issuance of General Obligation Bonds, Series of 2009 in the amount of $10,000,000 to refund the Refunding Series of 2002 General Obligation Bonds and a portion of the Series A of 2003 General Obligation Bonds pursuant to the Local Government Unit Debt Act of 1996 and according to the enclosed resolution.
· Submission of the attached corrective action plan for the State Audit findings to PDE for the years ending June 30, 2005 and June 30, 2006.
· 2008-09 Budget Transfers.