Northampton Area School District
THE MORNING AFTER
A Capsule of the Board of Education's Deliberations and Actions
Regular Board Meeting
February 23, 2009
(Unofficial Summary Subject to Revision)
At the regular meeting of the Board of Education, William Gorman, Gorman & Associates, presented the Audit Report. Kathryn Dyslin presented the ESL program at Siegfried Elementary School. Dr. Firestone presented Certificates of Achievement from PASBO to Donna Teklits and Rose Roberts. Chris Haller, D’Huy Engineering, presented a report on the George Wolf Elementary School project.
The Board approved the following:
· Resignation of Judith Kutch, Special Education Instructional Assistant at the Middle School, for the purpose of retirement, effective at the end of the day, June 12, 2009.
· Voluntary transfer of James Gianopulos from Floating Custodian for the District to Middle Shift Custodian at George Wolf/Bethlehem, effective February 24, 2009.
· Full-year medical sabbatical for Anne Maiatico, Art Teacher at Siegfried Elementary School, effective for the 2009-2010 school year.
· Additions and deletions to the Substitute List.
· Addition to the District Volunteer master listing for the 2008-09 school year: Maureen Bartron - High School Band/Chorus.
· Attendance of Sally Will-Weber, Reading teacher at the Middle School, at the 45th Annual Bloomsburg University Reading Conference at Bloomsburg University on May 7-8, 2009, at a cost not to exceed $ 577.00.
· Attendance of Leanne Gaughran, English teacher at the High School and Reading Apprenticeship trainer, at the Leadership Institute in Reading Apprenticeship Winter Conference in Philadelphia on February 27-28, 2009, at an estimated cost of $280.00.
· Pete Saul as an Assistant Boys Volleyball Coach, effective February 24, 2009, with 5+ years experience at a compensation of 100% of the current district supplemental reimbursement, totaling $2,439.00.
· Eric Budge as an Assistant Boys Volleyball Coach, effective February 24, 2009, with 0 years experience at a compensation of 80% of the current district supplemental reimbursement, totaling $1,951.00.
· Jason Melniszyn as an Assistant Girls Soccer Coach, effective February 24, 2009, with 1 years’ experience at a compensation of 85% of one-half of the current district supplemental reimbursement, totaling $1,476.00.
· Kylee Notaro as an Assistant Girls Soccer Coach, effective February 24, 2009, with 0 years experience at a compensation of 80% of one-half of the current district supplemental reimbursement, totaling $1,389.00. Continued employment is contingent upon receipt of acceptable Act 114 FBI clearance.
· Justina Black as an Assistant Softball Coach, effective February 24, 2009, with 5 years’ experience at a compensation of 100% of one-half of the current district supplemental reimbursement, totaling $1,990.00.
· Attendance of Silke Keeler, Network Specialist, at system administration technical training at Montgomery IU in Norristown, PA, from March 2 - 6, 2009, at an estimated cost of $900.00.
· Allison Fiorini, Business/Computer Teacher and FBLA Advisor, Richard Silvius, Math Teacher, and five FBLA students to attend/compete in the FBLA State Competition/Conference at Hershey, PA, on March 30-April 1, 2009 at a total cost to the district of $2,044.50.
· Pam Hoffner, Environmental Science and Gifted Teacher, and Gene Thrash, Social Studies Teacher, to accompany 12 high school students to the Mallard Lodge Aquatic Education Research Center in Smyrna, DE, on March 29-31, 2009, at a cost to the district not to exceed $200.00.
· Attendance of Pam Kremus, Gifted Support Teacher at Lehigh and the Borough Elementary Schools, at the annual P.A.G.E. Conference in King of Prussia, PA, on April 16-17, 2009, at an estimated cost of $250.00.
· Michele Solga as a LTS Special Education Teacher at Siegfried Elementary School, effective February 24, 2009, for the remainder of the 2008-09 school year. Her salary will be $225.55, per diem without benefits, based on a BA degree and Step 1, Year 1 of the current salary schedule.
· Electrical change order for Wind Gap Electric as part of the Col. John Siegfried Elementary School project:
EC-07 - ($13,000.00) - Credit change order to be deducted from the remaining unused allowance balance.
· General construction change orders for Perrotto Builders as part of the Col. John Siegfried Renovation project:
GC-26 - $7,097.34 - Provide all labor and materials required to remove all existing damaged wall material and reframe / resurface the existing toilet room walls as requested by the Owner, as per CCPR-124.
GC-27 - $1,091.18 - Provide all labor and materials required to enclose the existing structural steel column on the 3rd floor in Corridor B (uncovered during demolition) with painted GWB and adjust the location of door 311-A due to field conditions, as per CCPR-110.
GC-28 - $1,053.02 - Provide all labor and materials required to modify the knee wall (adjacent to the new chair lift on the stage) per ASI G-10 (revised) due to field conditions, CCPR-123R.
GC-29 - $1,870.07 - Provide all labor and materials required to remove the existing “molded” GWB and replace with new painted GWB in various locations (revised) due to field conditions, CCPR-125R.
GC-30 - $1,526.54 - Provide all labor and materials required to remove existing decayed wood floor and provide and install new ¾” fir plywood subfloor repair and ¼” luan plywood underlayment in an existing classroom due to field conditions, CCPR-127.
· Bills for Payment.
· Treasurer’s Report.
· 2009-10 Northampton Community College Budget in the amount of $48,190,320 with the NASD portion of $682,373 required to fund the budget.
· Agreement with Lehigh University for the rental of Stabler Arena for the 2009 graduation ceremonies at a rate of $6,700.00 plus any actual expenses.
· Tax Exonerations.
· Expulsion Hearing Waiver for High School student number 2009-02.