Northampton Area School District
THE MORNING AFTER
A Capsule of the Board of Education's Deliberations and Actions
Regular Board Meeting
March 23, 2009
(Unofficial Summary Subject to Revision)
At the regular meeting of the Board of Education, Brian Williams presented the BAVTS 2009-2010 Budget.
The Board approved the following:
· Unpaid leave of absence for Ashley Greb, Special Education Instructional Assistant at Siegfried Elementary School, for the period of March 18, 2009, PM through May 1, 2009.
· Additions and deletions to the Substitute List.
· Updated job description for the Assistant Superintendent for Curriculum and Instruction, effective March 24, 2009.
· Attendance of Mark Appleby, Gifted Support Teacher at Moore and George Wolf Elementary Schools, at the annual P.A.G.E. Conference in King of Prussia, PA, on April 16-17, 2009, at an estimated cost of $320.00.
· Attendance of Kathleen Ott, Joseph Kovalchik, and Curtis Dimmick at the PA Department of Education Safe Schools Conference in Harrisburg, PA, on May 4-6, 2009, at a total cost of $910.00. Conference attendance costs are part of the 2009 Safe Schools Initiative grant allocation awarded to Northampton Area School District.
· Attendance of Marilyn Detrick, Assistant Director of Special Education, at the Pennsylvania Department of Education Annual Conference 2009: “Getting Results: Educating Students in a Standards Aligned System” from April 14-17, 2009, at a cost not to exceed $641.24.
· Continuation of Kathleen Bendekovits as a LTS Kindergarten Teacher in the Borough, through the end of the 2008-09 school year. Her salary will be $42,404.00, pro-rated with benefits, based on a BA degree and Step 1, Year 1 of the 2008-09 salary schedule.
· Brian Scholl as a LTS Elementary Technology Teacher at Siegfried Elementary School, effective March 24, 2009, for the remainder of the 2008-09 school year. His salary will be $225.55, per diem without benefits, based on a BA degree and Step 1, Year 1 of the current salary schedule.
· Position of a One-to-One Instructional Assistant for a student at the George Wolf Elementary School and allow for a substitute Instructional Assistant to immediately fill that position until a permanent person is found. The position is for the remainder of the 2008-2009 school year only.
· Attendance of Dr. Kathleen Ott at the PAFPC Conference in Champion, PA, from April 5-8, 2009, at an estimated cost of $1,494.00.
· Cynthia Heffley as a LTS Itinerant Special Education Teacher at Lehigh and Moore Elementary Schools, effective March 24, 2009, for the remainder of the 2008-09 school year. Continued employment is contingent upon receipt of updated and acceptable Act 151 clearance. Her salary will be $225.55, per diem without benefits, based on a BA degree and Step 1, Year 1 of the current salary schedule.
· Tina Carnathan as a Cafeteria Monitor at the Middle School, effective March 24, 2009. Her continued employment is contingent upon receipt of acceptable Act 151 clearance. Her salary will be $9.36 per hour, 80% of the current hourly rate, in accordance with the collective bargaining agreement, no benefits.
· Adoption of Policy 227 - Controlled Substances/Paraphernalia and Policy 113.2 - Behavior Support, effective March 24, 2009. Deletion of Policies 4:07 - Gold Pass for Retirees, 5:10 - Drug and Alcohol Prevention and Abuse, 5:13 - Drug and Alcohol Policy and Administrative Guidelines, 100-6:03 - Teaching of Reading in Elementary Schools, 100-6:04 - Teaching of Basic Skills in Mathematics, 100-6:05 - Guidelines for the Use of Hand-Held Calculators, 100-6:06 - Kindergarten Philosophy, and 100-6:07 - Students in Kindergarten and First Grade Who Qualify for Gifted Programming.
· Authorization for the administration to submit PDE-3074 - Self Certification Application to PDE for Non-Reimbursable Construction Projects for the Replacement of the Exterior Soffit at the High School.
· General construction change orders for Bracy Contracting, Inc. as part of the George Wolf Renovation project:
GC-M13 - $5,497.98 - COR 55A rev.2A, stage wall material change to mold resistant gypsum wallboard @ $2,195.55; COR 115, CMU infill at removed display case outside Room 187 (Corridors D&F) due to mold @ $922.37; COR116NS, provide mold resistant gypsum wallboard on existing framing in Rooms 186 & 187 @ $1,838.91; COR 119NS, cost to demo the display case and wall outside Room 187 (Corridors D&F) due to mold @$541.15.
GC-14 - $11,903.69 - COR 114, sinkhole repair work completed on January 5 & 6, 2009, SE of the holding tanks from the basketball court.
· Total base audit fee of $29,425 with Gorman & Associates, Northampton, to provide Auditing Services this summer for the 2008-09 fiscal year for the General Fund/EIT/and Public Library.
· Adoption of the 2009-10 Colonial Intermediate Unit 20 General Operating Budget in the amount of $2,912,140, with the NASD portion of $38,628.06 required to fund the budget.
· Bills for Payment.
· Treasurer’s Report.
· Tax Exonerations.
· Expulsion Hearing Waiver for Middle School student number 2009-04.
· Donated use of the Middle School/High School gymnasiums and cafeterias by NASD for the Dakota C. Galusha Memorial Fund - First Annual Basketball Tournament on March 28 and 29, 2009, from 8:00 a.m. until 6:00 p.m. Custodial services will also be donated at an approximate cost of $1,700.00.
· Expulsion Hearing Waiver for High School student number 2009-05.
· Adoption of the Resolution for the purpose of extending the existing Keystone Opportunity Zone term for an additional 10 years, effective upon occupancy, provided occupancy shall occur no later than December 31, 2015.