Northampton Area School District
THE MORNING AFTER
A Capsule of the Board of Education's Deliberations and Actions
Regular Board Meeting
April 27, 2009
(Unofficial Summary Subject to Revision)
At the regular meeting of the Board of Education, Kevin Reid of King Spry & Jason Brockman of PFM presented BAVTS Authority's Bond Refunding. Dr. Firestone presented the PSBA video ‘Keystone Exams’. Mr. Kovalchik presented Online Policies. Jamie Doyle of PFM presented financial analysis for a potential construction project. Mr. Lafferty presented a report on the Middle School Charity Night. Mrs. Rundle presented the Policy Committee report. Mrs. Skrapits presented the Technology Committee report. Alyssa Figura presented an update on Student Council activities.
The Board approved the following:
· Resignation of Carol Mertz, Custodian at Lehigh Elementary School, for the purpose of retirement, effective at the end of the day, May 29, 2009.
· Resignation of John Miller from the position of Technology Assistant in District Administration, effective the end of the day, April 17, 2009.
· Resignation of Andrew Peartree, Drama Club Advisor, effective June 12, 2009.
· Additions and deletions to the Substitute List.
· Resignation of Nicole Jones, Dance Team Co-Advisor, effective May 4, 2009.
· Resignation of Mandi Smith, Dance Team Co-Advisor, effective May 4, 2009.
· Job descriptions for Computer Liaison, Planetarium Advisor, and Musical/ Drama Director, effective April 28, 2009.
· Addition to the District Volunteer master listing for the 2008-09 school year: Elizabeth Klementovich - Athletic.
· Resignation of Curtis Dimmick from the position of Assistant Principal at the High School, effective June 30, 2009.
· Diane Miller as a Temporary One-to-One Special Education Instructional Assistant at George Wolf Elementary School, effective April 28, 2009, for the remainder of the 2008-09 school year. Her hourly rate will be $9.36, 80% of the current hourly rate, in accordance with the current collective bargaining agreement, with benefits.
· Andrew Peartree, Meagan Mielczarek, and Krista Green to accompany nineteen Drama Club students on the New York City Theatre Tour field trip on April 16-18, 2009, at a cost to the district not to exceed $600.00.
· List of Student Summer Help, along with their compensation rate of $7.15 per hour from June 15, 2009, through August 21, 2009. (The list denotes those students who are pending receipt of acceptable clearances.)
· Allison Fiorini, FBLA Co-Advisor, to accompany Caitlin Carolan to the National FBLA competition in Anaheim, CA, on June 23-June 29, 2009, at a total cost to the district of approximately $2,375.00.
· Melissa Pany as a 12-Month Secretary to the Principal at Lehigh Elementary School, effective July 1, 2009. Her hourly rate will be $14.80, 80% of the current hourly rate, in accordance with the current collective bargaining agreement, with benefits.
· Attendance of Kurt Paccio at the annual National Education Computing Conference in Washington, D.C., from June 27 - July 1, 2009, at no cost to the district.
· Andrew Peartree, Musical Set Design at the High School, effective for the 2008-09 school year, with a total stipend of $819.00.
· Douglas Fehnel as Acting Head Boys Tennis Coach at a compensation of $1,344.00 of the $3,851.00 current district supplemental reimbursement approved for Mr. Kim Davis. Mr. Davis will be compensated $2,507.00 for the season.
· Mechanical construction change order for Guy Cooper, Inc., as part of the George Wolf Renovation/Additions project:
MC-02 - $3,499.18 - Re-insulate piping at 14 new AHUs required due to the remediation per MC-COR-20.
· Awarding of the contract for the High School Exterior Soffit Replacement to CMG of Easton for a total of $185,400.00, which includes base bid and Alternates GC#1 and GC#2.
· Awarding of a contract to Aramark Education for FY2009-10 for Foodservice Management for the District at a rate of $0.0523 per meal for Administrative and General Management Fees, contingent upon PDE’s approval.
· Treasurer’s Report.
· Alternate billing agreement with Northampton Community College for the 2009-10 budget.
· Authorization for the purchase of HP Care Pack one-year service agreement for 10 servers at a total cost of $5,862.00.
· Plan Document and Summary Plan Description Amendment with the Employee Benefit Trust of Eastern PA for Colorectal Cancer Screenings effective July 1, 2009.
· Awarding of the 2009-2010 Fuel Bid to Inergy Propane, LLC, DBA Farm & Home Oil Company as follows:
- Ultra Low Sulphur Diesel at a rate of rack plus $0.32/ gallon
- #87 Gasoline at a rate of rack plus $0.32/ gallon
- Off-road Diesel at a rate of rack plus $0.32/ gallon
- Additive for winterizing at a rate of $0.03/ gallon
· Telecommunications Audit and Services Analysis Letter of Agreement to audit our current communication equipment and carrier networks at a fee of 40% of the total savings to the district.
· Adoption of the updated resolution, as presented by Bond Council, to refinance BAVTS Authority’s 2001 Improvement and Refunding Bonds.
· Adoption of the 2009-10 Proposed General Fund Budget with revenues and expenditures totaling $80,273,136 and authorization for administration to advertise and make the Proposed Budget available for inspection to the pubic.
· Bills for Payment.
· Tax Exonerations.
· Revised school calendar for the 2008-2009 school year.
· Acceptance of the donation of a dental chair, valued at $2,000, from Dr. Gerald Millheim, for the Northampton Area School District Dental program.
· Foreign Exchange placement of Elin Forss from Stockholm, Sweden, as a student at Northampton Area High School for the 2009-2010 school year.
· Expulsion Hearing Waiver for High School student number 2009-07.