Northampton Area School District
THE MORNING AFTER
A Capsule of the Board of Education's Deliberations and Actions
Regular Board Meeting
May 11, 2009
(Unofficial Summary Subject to Revision)
At the regular meeting of the Board of Education, Chief Peloquin was honored as PA Law Enforcement Officer of the Year. Mr. Kovalchik recognized retirees. Robyn Ginther presented “Autism Speaks”. Ms. Erdo presented the legislative and COG reports. Mr. Gogel presented the BAVTS report. Mr. Koch presented the Facilities Committee report. Mr. Politi presented the NCC report.
The Board approved the following:
· Elementary professional staff transfers effective with the 2009-2010 school year.
· Resignation of Wendy Clemons, Student Council Advisor, effective June 12, 2009.
· Unpaid leave of absence for Heather Oetzel, Special Education Instructional Assistant at Siegfried Elementary School, for the period of August 27, 2009, through on or about September 5, 2009.
· Voluntary transfer of Kayann Unangst from 10-Month Secretary in the District Tax Office to 10-Month Attendance Secretary at the High School, effective August 17, 2009.
· Updated job descriptions for the following positions: Attendance Secretary, Technology Assistant, and Instructional Assistant - Health Room.
· Voluntary transfer of Susan Hertzog from 10-Month Transportation/Security Secretary to 12-Month Transportation/Systems Secretary in District Administration, effective July 1, 2009.
· Northampton Sick Leave Bank as a voluntary sick leave program offered to all bargaining members of the Northampton Area Educational Support Personnel Association, effective July 1, 2009.
· Secondary professional staff transfers for the 2009-2010 school year.
· Additions and deletions to the Substitute List.
· Attendance of Paul Marcinkowski, Athletic Trainer, at the National Athletic Trainers’ Association Meeting and Clinical Symposia in San Antonio, Texas on June 17-20, 2009, with a total cost to the district of $ 814.40.
· List of teachers who may provide ESY - Chapter 15/Section 504 services during the summer of 2009, dependent upon need, in order to complete delivery of services for the 2008-2009 school year.
· David Ibarra as a PE Special Education Teacher at the High School, effective August 27, 2009. His salary will be $51,588.00, with benefits, based on a MA degree and Step 9, Year 9 of the 2009-2010 salary schedule.
· Appointment of Rose M. Roberts as Board Treasurer for the term of July 1, 2009, through June 30, 2010.
· Christine Steigerwalt to serve as a half day teacher, half day assistant to the principal for the 2009-10 school year. She will earn her full teacher salary, with benefits, and a stipend of $5,250 for the 2009-2010 school year.
· Adoption of the following policies: 130 - Homework, 216 - Collection, Maintenance and Dissemination of Student Records, and 705 - Safety, effective May 12, 2009. Deletion of the following policies/guidelines: 6:12 - Homework, 216 - Student Records, 705 - Safety, 1:03 - Elementary Student Assignments to Schools in Attendance Areas, 3:03 - Travel Expense Reimbursement, 4:03 - Guidelines for Disability/Maternity Leaves, and 5:07 - Absentee Policy, effective May 12, 2009.
· Bids for Paper and Janitorial Supplies, Bid No. NMPCJPB-DP/JS-2009-2010, in the amount of $110,007.62 as awarded by the Northampton/Monroe/Pike County Joint Purchasing Board.
· Bills for Payment.
· Depositories for school funds for the 2009-10 fiscal year: National Penn (KNBT), Pennsylvania Local Government Investment Trust (PLGIT), Pennsylvania School District Liquid Asset Fund (PSDLAF), Pennsylvania Treasurer’s Investment Programs for Local Governments (INVEST), and Susquehanna Patriot Bank.
· 2008-2009 Budget Transfers.
· Adoption of resolution to implement a property tax rebate program for the 2009-10 school year and subsequent fiscal years with the same income levels and maximum rebate as in prior years.
· Agreement for extended school year services for a middle school student and a high school student attending an Approved Private School (APS) to be provided by a teacher from the APS for 24 hours of instruction each during the summer of 2009.
· Acceptance of the 2009/2010 gaming money to reduce property taxes and set the homestead/farmstead exclusion at the same calculated amount.
· Creation of the Northampton Education Foundation with an initial loan not to exceed $5,000.
· Board President and Superintendent to sign Letter of Assurance for the Special Education Plan.
· Expulsion Hearing Waiver for High School student number 2009-08.
· Expulsion Hearing Waiver for Middle School student number 2009-09.