Northampton Area School District
THE MORNING AFTER
A Capsule of the Board of Education's Deliberations and Actions
Regular Board Meeting
June 22, 2009
(Unofficial Summary Subject to Revision)
At the regular meeting of the Board of Education, Mrs. Skrapits presented the Technology Steering Committee report.
The Board approved the following:
· Adoption of the 2009-10 General Fund Budget with revenues of $81,514,173 and expenditures of $81,514,173. This budget is supported by an increase of 1.2 mills and the following tax levy:
Act 511 Local Tax Enabling Act:
Per Capita Tax $5.00
Real Estate Transfer Tax 0.5%
Earned Income Tax 0.7%
Section 670 Pennsylvania School Code
Per Capita Tax $5.00
Real Estate Tax 43.55 mills
· Renewal agreement with K12 Systems, Inc. of Allentown, for software licensing, support, and hosting at a cost of $77,820 for 2009-2010 school year.
· Treasurer’s Report.
· Reappointment of NASD Business Office as the 2009-10 NASD tax collector for Bath Boro, Chapman Boro, Allen Township, Moore Township, and East Allen Township.
· Plan Document Amendment with the Employee Benefit Trust of Eastern PA for CHIPRA effective April 1, 2009.
· Contract with Kimberly Flounders, certified Wilson Reading Instructor, for the delivery of ESY Services utilizing the Wilson Reading Program, at a cost not to exceed $2,000.00.
· Appointment of Terry A. Leh as the Primary TCC (Tax Collection Committee) voting delegate and Rose M. Roberts as the Alternate TCC voting delegate for Northampton Area School District.
· Bills for Payment.
· Homestead and farmstead real estate tax reduction amount at $107.92, with a homestead and farmstead real estate assessed value reduction at $2,478.
· Revised termination of the temporary assignments, with the effective date as noted next to the individuals’ names.
· Extension of unpaid childrearing leave for Alana Heller, Kindergarten Teacher at Franklin Elementary School, through October 30, 2009.
· Resignation of Mary Ann Weaver from the position of One-to-One Special Education Instructional Assistant at Siegfried Elementary, effective the end of the day, June 12, 2009.
· Resignation of Michael Sugra, Sr., Head Baseball Coach, effective June 3, 2009.
· Resignation of Susan Werkheiser from the position of Principal at Moore Elementary School. The effective date is at the end of the day August 7, 2009, contingent upon the hiring of her replacement, but no later than August 21, 2009.
· Change of resignation date for Curt Dimmick, from his position as assistant principal at the high school, effective August 2, 2009.
· Resignation of Sharon Lantzer, Marching Band Assistant, effective June 1, 2009.
· Resignations of Jeffrey Lantzer, Marching Band Director, effective June 1, 2009, and Stage and Lighting Advisor, effective June 12, 2009.
· Revised list of teachers who may provide ESY - Chapter 15/Section 504 services during the summer of 2009, dependent upon need, in order to complete delivery of services for the 2008-2009 school year.
· M. Elizabeth Winchester as a One-to-One Special Education Instructional Assistant at the High School, effective August 27, 2009. Her hourly rate will be $9.74, 80% of the 2009-2010 hourly rate, in accordance with the current collective bargaining agreement, with benefits.
· Revised list of teachers for the elementary summer program from June 23, 2009 - July 23, 2009, at the appropriate contracted curriculum rate, pending approval of the 2009-2010 budget.
· Attendance of Dr. Linda Firestone at the CIU20 Summer Administrative Workshop from August 5-7, 2009, at Split Rock Resort in Lake Harmony, PA at a total cost of $509.30.
· Base salary of $109,184.86 for Lydia Hanner as Director of Curriculum and Instruction effective July 1, 2009, for the contract year 2009-2010.
· Michele Rausch and Angela Ellersbee to attend the PDE Title I State Parent Conference at Seven Springs, PA, on July 8-10, 2009, at a cost not to exceed $1,754.00. The cost of the conference will be covered by the Title I Parent Involvement funds which have been budgeted specifically for this purpose.
· Substitute rates for the 2009-2010 school year, effective July 1, 2009:
Instructors - $90.00 for the first 20 days and $100.00 thereafter
Secretaries - $9.98/hour
Instructional Assistants - $7.31/hour
Lunchroom and Hall Monitors - $7.31/hour
Substitute Custodians - $11.11/hour
Security Guards - $12.90/hour
· Todd Weber as a Tuesday through Saturday Custodian at Siegfried Elementary School, effective June 23, 2009. His hourly rate will be $14.81, 80% of the current hourly rate, in accordance with the current collective bargaining agreement, with benefits.
· Change of the 10-month school psychologist position to a 12-month position. The costs incurred by this increase will be paid through the ARRA (American Recovery and Reinvestment Act) for the 2009-2010 and 2010-2011 school years. Dr. Steven Kachmar as a 12-month school psychologist, effective July 13, 2009, at a salary of $74,717.50, prorated with benefits.
· Change of the 10-month Special Education secretary position in District Administration to a 12-month position. The costs incurred by this increase will be paid with American Recovery and Reinvestment Act funds for the 2009-2010 and 2010-2011 school years. Lynne Yanders as the 12-month secretary for Special Education, effective August 3, 2009. Her annualized salary for 2009-2010 will be $30,381.00, pro-rated.
· Adjustment for Barbara Watkins to long-term non-certified substitute status, per Board Policy 505, retroactive to January 14, 2009.
· Curt Dimmick, Principal of Moore Elementary School, effective August 3, 2009. Mr. Dimmick’s salary will be $86,000.00, pro-rated with benefits, and in accordance with the Act 93 Agreement.
· Tim Carpency and Angela Mitchell as substitute Co-Directors of the Marching Band, as needed during the Marching Band season, at a rate of $44.00 each per day.
· Textbook Adoptions for the 2009-2010 School Year for a total cost of $188,795.46.
· Awarding of the base bid for the Stand-By Generator for the Administration Building to Barry J. Hoffman Co., Inc. of Allentown in the amount of $178,200.
· Awarding of the bid for the Moore Elementary School-HVAC Building Automation System to Johnson Controls, Inc., of Allentown, in the amount of $196,000.
· Self-Certification Application for Non-Reimbursable Construction Project and the Milestone Schedule for the remediation project at the Northampton Area Middle School.