Northampton Area School District
THE MORNING AFTER
A Capsule of the Board of Education's Deliberations and Actions
Regular Board Meeting
December 7, 2009
(Unofficial Summary Subject to Revision)
At the Board Reorganization meeting of the Board of Education, David Gogel was approved as Board President and Jean Rundle was approved as Board Vice President for 2010. All 2010 Board meetings will be held at the District Administration Building at 6:30 p.m. on the second and fourth Mondays each month except for December. The meetings in December 2010 will be held on the first and third Monday. Board members were appointed to Committees.
At the regular meeting of the Board of Education, Dr. Firestone presented Jane Erdo with a Certificate of Appreciation from PSBA for eight years of Board service. Jamie Doyle, PFM, and Kevin Reid, Bond Counsel, presented Bond Refinancing. Chris Haller, D’Huy Engineering, presented the engineer report. Mr. Gogel presented the BAVTS report. Mr. Politi presented the NCC report. Rachel Satow presented the Student Council report.
The Board approved the following:
· Additions and deletions to the Substitute List.
· Retirement Agreement for the resignation of Elaine Kern, 12-month secretary in District Administration, for the purpose of retirement, effective at the end of the day, January 4, 2010.
· Updated job description for the following position: General Administrative Secretary.
· Continuation of unpaid leave of absence for Dolores Bock, Instructional Assistant at the High School, through March 31, 2010.
· Unpaid leave of absence for Jennifer Fixl, Special Education Instructional Assistant at Siegfried Elementary School, for the period beginning January 25, 2010, to on or about January 29, 2010.
· Unpaid childrearing leave for Suzanne Ott, Special Education Teacher at Siegfried Elementary School, for the period beginning approximately October 5, 2010 - PM, through the end of the 1st semester of the 2010-2011 school year.
· Unpaid leave of absence for Rhonda Gilly, Special Education Instructional Assistant at the Middle School, for the period beginning November 18, 2009, to December 4, 2009.
· Additions to the District Volunteer master listing for the 2009-2010 school year: Kelly Cascario - George Wolf; Shirley Gober - Borough; Mary Millan - Lehigh; Magdaline Schuch - Borough; and Rachel Singer - Lehigh.
· Professional status and tenure for Melissa Breidinger, Borough Elementary School, who has completed three years of teaching and has received six satisfactory evaluations.
· Attendance of Silke Keeler, District Network Administrator, and Jayne Hartzog, District Instructional Technology Specialist, at the Pennsylvania Educational Technology Expo & Conference in Hershey, PA on February 21-24, 2010, at an approximate cost of $1,530.00.
· Attendance of Donna Teklits at The Attendance/Child Accounting Professional Association annual conference on March 17-19, 2010, at an estimated cost to the district of $748.50.
· Theresa Kocis as a 12-Month Secretary for Curriculum & Instruction in District Administration, effective January 4, 2010. Her rate of pay will be $14.80 per hour, with benefits, in accordance with the collective bargaining agreement.
· Adoption of the following policies: 828 - Search and Seizure Without a Warrant, 829 - Protection From Abuse Act, 830 - Reporting Use of Force, 831 - Pursuit of Motor Vehicle and Records, 832 - Transporting Persons in Custody to Medical Facilities, 833 -Transporting Persons in Custody to other Facilities, 834 - Use of Force, and 835 - Arrests With and Without a Warrant, effective December 8, 2009.
· Program of Studies for the 2010-11 school year.
· Three (3) year service agreement for the Administration Building elevator to Reading Elevator Service, Inc. at a cost of $3,300, annually, for the period of January 2010 through December 2012.
· Bills for Payment.
· Sixty month lease with Xerox, for a Model 7655 networked digital color copier, at a cost of $417.00 per month and for two Xerox Model 5655PT networked copiers at a combined cost of $679.00 per month at Moore elementary School.
· Catalog Fixed Discount Program as awarded by the IU20 Joint Purchasing Board for the period January 1, 2010, through December 31, 2010.
· Appointment of Portnoff Law Associates, Ltd to collect the 2009 delinquent real estate taxes.
· 2009-2010 Budget Transfers.
· Authorization for the issuance of General Obligation Bonds, Series of 2010 in the amount not to exceed $18,020,000 to refund the General Obligation Bonds, Series of 2005, 2004, and the Series A of 2003 pursuant to the Local Government Unit Debt Act of 1996 and according to the Parameters Based Resolution, as long as the net savings target of 2% can be achieved.
· Submission of the following to PDE: 2009 George Wolf - School Improvement Plan, and 2009 High School - School Improvement Plan, with District Supplement.
· Expulsion for Student Number 2009-23.