Northampton Area School District
THE MORNING AFTER
A Capsule of the Board of Education's Deliberations and Actions
Regular Board Meeting
March 8, 2010
(Unofficial Summary Subject to Revision)
At the regular meeting of the Board of Education, Kimberly Levin introduced the winners of the Skills USA competition. Chris Haller, D’Huy Engineering, presented the engineer report. Joseph Kovalchik presented the Policy Committee report. Nick Politi presented the NCC report. Alyssa Figura presented the Student Council report.
The Board approved the following:
· Voluntary transfer of Janet Grantz from Special Education Instructional Assistant to Library Instructional Assistant at the High School, effective date is upon hire of replacement, on or about March 9, 2010.
· Intermittent unpaid leave of absence for Mary Ellen Zastko, Library Instructional Assistant at Lehigh Elementary School, for the time period beginning February 1, 2010, to February 19, 2010, and again February 24, 2010, for an undetermined length of time.
· Additions and deletions to the Substitute List.
· Additions to the District Volunteer master listing for the 2009-2010 school year: Jamison Barnhart - Athletic, Valerie Gogel - Lehigh, Larry Heckman, Jr. - George Wolf, and Kelly Holihan - Borough.
· Three (3) year contract for Robert Peloquin as the District’s Chief of Police, effective July 1, 2010, to June 30, 2013.
· Three (3) year contract for Wilfred Williams as the District’s School Police Officer, effective July 1, 2010, to June 30, 2013.
· Michael Sander as an Assistant Baseball Coach, effective March 9, 2010, with 3 years experience at a compensation of 95% of the current district supplemental reimbursement, totaling $3,950.00, no benefits.
· Adoption of the following policies: 214 - Class Rank, 215 - Promotion and Retention, and 252 - Course Selection and Course Drop/Add, effective March 9, 2010. Deletion of Policy 215 - (6:09) - Teacher Prerogative and Policy 252 - Course Drop/Add, effective March 9, 2010.
· Construction project decisions for the new Middle School to be included in the RFP:
- The building site for the new Middle School will be on the property located at Seemsville Road and Route 329 in East Allen Township; the property is presently owned by Northampton Area School District.
- The enrollment capacity for the new Middle School will be 1,500 students.
- Base bid for a gymnasium to include a stage area, a deduct alternate bid for an auditorium to be constructed in the future, and a deduct alternate bid for a natatorium.
And authorization for the administration to submit for a zoning variance with East Allen Township for the Seemsville Road / Route 329 property.
· Acceptance of PDE approval of PlanCon Part I: Interim Reporting #14 for the High School Renovation / Additions Project No. 3179.
· Change order for Boro Construction, General Contractor, as approved by PDE for the High School project:
GC-80 - $25,000 - RFP GC-292R1 - Provide and install terrazzo flooring in Corridor E248, remove existing VCT - revised for $9,989.84 - omission; RFP GC-294 - Top off wall in E244 w/ GWB for $2,598.96 - unforeseen condition; RFP-GC 295 - GWB partitions / soffit in E215a for $1,276.51 - field condition; RFP GC-296 - Provide and install GWB partitions / soffits in E101, E130, Stairs 'B', 'C' and 'D' for $4,027.83 - field condition; RFP-GC-297 - Credit - Delete demo from south wall louver openings ($-1,964.45) - field condition; RFP GC-298 - Modify countertop in Waiting Room E165a for ADA compliance for $3,330.91 - omission; RFP GC-301 - Provide and install 1/2 wall in Library Computer E141b for $2,060.85 - unforeseen condition; RFP GC-302 - Infill existing wall at existing ticket window in Chorus E138 for $572.76 - field condition; RFP GC-303 - Repair existing GWB partitions where the existing chalkboards were removed by others for $9,996.77 - unforeseen condition; RPF GC-304 - Credit Delete demo from existing hollow metal glazing system in Display E141a and delete CT wall restoration in existing corridors for ($-6,889.98) - field condition.
· General construction change order for Perrotto Builders as part of the Col. John Siegfried Renovation project:
GC-31 - ($8,018.43) - Credit change order. CCPR GC-147 - Provide and install all materials required to modify the handrail at the penthouse level in Stair ‘A’ for ADA compliance - Code Official requirement $722.93. CCPR GC-148 - Provide and install a new threshold at door 109-B per Owners request $416.16. Provide all labor and materials to correct damaged existing building flooring on the 3rd floor in Corridor ‘B’ (near Stair ‘B’); this area is outside of the GC’s scope of work $1,820.70. Credit for Owner replacing (4) existing stair treads damaged during construction activities ($640.00). Credit for acceptance of Music Practice Room door / frame ($170.00). Credit for deleting the trash compactor ($5,000.00). Credit for deleting Change Order GC-16, rejected by NASD, ($5,124.96). Credit to bring the remaining allowance balance to zero ($43.26)
· Bills for Payment.
· 2009-2010 Budget Transfers.
· Contract with Service Electric Cable TV & Communications to provide and install fiber optic data cable from the Administration Building to Washington at a cost of $9,280.17.
· Adjudication report for Student Number 2010-03.
· Revised school calendar for the 2009-10 school year.