Northampton Area School District
THE MORNING AFTER
A Capsule of the Board of Education's Deliberations and Actions
Regular Board Meeting
June 14, 2010
(Unofficial Summary Subject to Revision)
At the regular meeting of the Board of Education of the Board, Mr. Haller, D’Huy Engineering, presented the engineer report. Mr. Politi presented the NCC report and Mr. Koch presented the BAVTS report.
The Board approved the following:
· Unpaid childrearing leave for Keri Kachmar, K-12 Mathematics Supervisor, for the period beginning on or about December 7, 2010, through on or about June 30, 2011.
· List of professional staff transfers effective with the 2010-2011 school year.
· Revised list of summer school instructors and their reimbursement based on the current Supplemental Reimbursement for Extra Services - Curriculum and Instruction. Effective dates for the program will be June 25, 2010, through August 6, 2010.
· Revised list of teachers for the elementary summer program from June 22, 2010 - July 22, 2010, at the appropriate contracted curriculum rate.
· Revised list of Student Summer Help, along with their compensation rate of $7.25 per hour from June 14, 2010, through August 20, 2010.
· Attendance of Donna Teklits at the Pennsylvania Association of School Business Officials (PASBO) Steel Eagle Leadership Institute July 15-16, 2010, at Bear Creek Mountain Resort in Macungie, PA. All costs are paid by PASBO.
· Elizabeth Grammes as Assistant Principal at the Middle School, effective July 1, 2010. Salary will be $70,000.00 annually, with benefits, and in accordance with the Act 93 Agreement.
· Agreement for the Confidential Employees. The Agreement is effective July 1, 2010, through June 30, 2011 and includes a 2% average salary increase for all Confidential Employees.
· .5 special education teacher position for the 2010-2011 school year to be funded out of Federal IDEA Stimulus Monies.
· Memorandum of Understanding between the Northampton Educators Association (NAEA) and the District effective June 15, 2010, and ending August 26, 2010.
· Authorization for Assistant Superintendent, Joseph Kovalchik, to serve as the Acting Superintendent effective May 17, 2010, through June 30, 2010.
· Appointment of Joseph Kovalchik as Superintendent of Northampton Area School District for a term beginning July 1, 2010, through June 30, 2013, and approve a contract for employment for an initial salary of $130,000, subject to the terms and conditions contained therein.
· Adoption of the following policies: 132 - Alternative Education Program, with the added change listed above, and 606.1 - Elected Tax Collectors, effective June 15, 2010.
· Three (3) year service agreement for the chemical water treatment to the boiler/chiller systems at George Wolf, Moore, Siegfried, Middle and High School to “The Keeler Company” at the following prices:
2010/2011 - $6,050.00 (0% increase from last year)
2011/2012 - $6,171.00 (2% increase)
2012/2013 - $6,294.30 (2% increase)
· General construction change order for CMG of Easton, as part of the Middle School Ceiling Project:
CO-1 - ($16,303.41) - Credit change order to be deducted from the remaining unused allowance balance.
· Solar Power Purchase Agreements and Solar Lease Agreements with Energy Alliance Group (Northampton) LLC, a Pennsylvania limited liability company, for Moore Elementary and Lehigh Elementary Schools.
· Agreement for Extended School Year services for two high school students and one middle school student attending an Approved Private School (APS) to be provided by the teachers from the APS during the summer of 2010.
· Bills for Payment.
· Rescission of the Plan Document and Summary Plan Description Amendment with the Employee Benefit Trust of Eastern PA for Autism Spectrum Disorders that was effective July 1, 2010.
· 2010 Homestead and Farmstead real estate tax reduction amount at $107.75 with a 2010 Homestead and Farmstead real estate assessed value reduction at $2,394.00.
· Contract with Kimberly Flounders, certified Wilson Reading Instructor, for the delivery of ESY utilizing the Wilson Reading Program at a cost not to exceed $2,400.00.
· Contract with Dr. Domenico Cavaiuolo, Educational and Rehabilitation Consultant, for an amount not to exceed $5,000.00 to be funded out of Federal IDEA Stimulus Monies.
· Agreement with Capital Area Intermediate Unit 15 to provide off-site backup and disaster recovery services at a cost of $6,000 per year for 3 years.
· 2009-2010 Budget Transfers.
· Tax Exonerations.
· Treasurer’s Report.
· Addendum to the standard contract for Aramark to provide foodservice management for the 2010-2011 school year.
· Reappointment of NASD Business Office as the 2010-11 NASD tax collector for Bath Boro, Chapman Boro, Allen Township, Moore Township, and East Allen Township.
· Insurances for the 2010-11 fiscal year:
Property and Casualty Utica National $120,613
Boiler and Machinery Utica National $incl above
Automobile Utica National $ 19,526
Umbrella Liability Old Republic Insurance Co $ 20,604
School Leaders Errors & Omissions School Board Ins. Co. of PA $ 35,447
Workers’ Compensation Amerihealth (Companion) $256,887
Student Accident Monumental Life Ins. Co. $ 17,918
Voluntary School Time (parent paid) $27
Voluntary 24 hour “ $103
Voluntary dental “ $20
· Elementary and Secondary Handbooks for the 2010-11 school year, the Elementary Schools supplemental information (building specific) and the Secondary Handbook Sign/Off Permission Forms Booklet for the 2010-11 school year.
· Donation of a Touch Math Curriculum Set to the Special Education Department from a parent in the Northampton Area School District.