THE MORNING AFTER
A Capsule of the board of education’s deliberations and actions
Regular board meeting
APRIL 23, 2012
(Unofficial Summary Subject to Revision)
At the regular meeting of the Board of Education, the Board approved the following:
· The following addition to the District Volunteer Master Listing for the 2011-2012 school year:
Patricia Heald Moore
· Hillary Hartzell, a paid childbearing leave beginning August 27, 2012, through September 19, 2012 – AM, and an FMLA childrearing leave, with no pay, but with benefits, per Federal Government regulations, for the period beginning on September 19, 2012 – PM, to September 28, 2012.
· Additions to the Substitute Listing for the 2011-2012 school year.
· FMLA childrearing leave for Tammy Vajda, with no pay, but with benefits, per Federal Government regulations, for the period beginning on August 27, 2012, to October 31, 2012.
· Request of Ms. Maria Rodriguez, dance team coach, to leave May 2, 2012, after school, for the Dance Championship Competition being held in Wildwood, New Jersey, rather than on May 3, 2012, as previously approved by the Board. The additional cost to the District is approximately $70.00.
· Agreement between the District and the Northampton Educational Support Personnel Association for the purpose of clarifying language contained within the Collective Bargaining Agreement.
· Transcriptionist training to begin May 2012 through July 2012 and the necessary transcriptionist services and materials for a District Hearing Impaired student.
· Listing of Student Summer Help, along with their compensation rate of $7.25 per hour effective for the summer of 2012. The listing denotes those students who are pending receipt of acceptable clearances.
· Northampton Area School District Facilities Study dated March 19, 2012, which is required to be submitted to the Pennsylvania Department of Education as part of the PlanCon process. Eliminate the Deduct Alternate Bid from 1,500 students to 1,300 students. The capacity of the building will remain at 1,500 students. This alternate bid will not be included in the project scope. Submit PlanCon parts “A” and “B” to the Pennsylvania Department of Education for approval.
· Award the bid for the Roof Replacement at the Maintenance Building to Manchester Roofing Systems, of Malvern, PA, in the amount of $160,621.00 for the 50-mil (20 year) PVC based thermoplastic membrane roofing system.
· Renew a three (3) year service agreement to H.T. Lyons to annually service and test the District’s seventeen (17) Back-Flow-Preventers at an annual cost of $4,950.00 with a 0% increase over the term of this agreement from April 1, 2013, through March 31, 2015.
· Approve PlanCon Part “C” “Site Acquisition” and submit PlanCon Part “C” to the Pennsylvania Department of Education for review and approval. PlanCon Part C describes the acquisition of the following two properties, both of which are located adjacent and contiguous to the District’s high school and middle school: (1) the property owned by the Bethlehem Area Vocational Technical School Authority consisting of 3.34 acres located at 1417 Laubach Avenue, Northampton, PA and further identified on the County Assessment Maps as Parcel ID # L4-12-6A-1 and (2) a portion of the property owned by the Borough of Northampton consisting of 2.24 acres located along Stadium Drive and Smith Lane and further identified on the County Assessment Maps as a part of Parcel ID #L4-12-6.
· Total base audit fee of $30,300 with Gorman & Associates, Northampton, to provide Auditing Services for the 2011-12 fiscal year of the General Fund/EIT/and Public Library.
· Treasurer’s Report.
· Contract with Extended Family Care for a district student for an amount not to exceed $56,000.00.
· Tax Exonerations.
· Bills for Payment.