THE MORNING AFTER
A Capsule of the board of education’s deliberations and actions
Regular board meeting
MAY 21, 2012
(Unofficial Summary Subject to Revision)
At the regular meeting of the Board of Education, the Board approved the following:
· Termination of the temporary assignments for 2011-2012.
· FMLA leave of absence, with pay and benefits from sick leave, for Lynne Olsen, beginning May 11, 2012, through June 4, 2012, and an FMLA leave with no pay, but with benefits, per Federal Government regulations, on June 5, 2012.
· Resignation of Heather Oetzel, Special Education Instructional Assistant, effective at the end of the day May 17, 2012.
· Dr. Kathleen E. Ott, Ms. Melissa Monteith, Mr. J. William Hume, and Mrs. Paula Margraf to attend the Keystones to Opportunity Conference in Gettysburg, Pennsylvania, on May 14, 15, and 16, 2012. There is no cost to the District for this conference.
· Contract for Mr. Terry Leh as the Northampton Area School District Business Administrator for a term beginning July 1, 2012, through June 30, 2016, and approve a contract for employment for an initial salary of $119,939.84, subject to the terms and conditions contained therein.
· The following list of Working Head Custodians, all day shift, with a $2.00 per hour differential, effective July 1, 2012, in accordance with the current Collective Bargaining Agreement.
David Abraham Middle School
David Gradwohl Moore
Glenn Kane Lehigh
Jason Keppel High School
Donald Treichler Borough
Todd Weber George Wolf
· Involuntary transfer of John Gerancher, Lead Custodian at George Wolf Elementary, to Custodian at Washington’s Crossing, with no change in salary, retroactive to May 10, 2012.
· Involuntary transfer of Todd Weber, Custodian at Washington’s Crossing, to Lead Custodian at George Wolf Elementary, with a $.45 per hour differential, retroactive to May 10, 2012.
· Alison Kresge, 10-Month School Psychologist, effective July 1, 2012. Salary will be $51,540.00, with benefits, and in accordance with the Act 93 Agreement.
· Robert Steckel, Assistant Principal of Northampton Area High School, effective July 1, 2012, at an initial salary of $75,000, with benefits, and in accordance with the Act 93 Agreement.
· List of teachers to provide Extended School Year (ESY) and Chapter 15/Section 504 Services during the summer of 2012.
· List of special education teachers to complete the IEP process including the writing and holding of the IEP meeting for the summer 2012.
· Adoption of the following revised policies, effective May 22, 2012:
130 – Homework
204.1 – Habitually Truant Students
537 – Vacation
· Accept approval from PDE for PlanCon Part K: Project Refinancing for the Series A of 2011 Refunding Issue, which refunded a portion of the 2007 Bond Series.
· Award the bid for Polished Concrete Flooring at Lehigh Elementary School to QuestMark, of Allentown, PA, in the amount of $24,900 for the base bid.
· Addendum to the March 20, 2012, agreement with PenTeleData from $5,536 per month to $4,736 per month for the period of July 1, 2012, through June 30, 2017.
· Award the FY 2012-2013 Supply and Equipment Bid for art, audio visual, cleaning, maintenance, general supplies, general art, health, industrial arts, physical education, computer and duplicating to the various vendors as listed on the summary report at a total cost of $196,119.40
· The administration to pay final invoices applicable to the 2011-2012 budget and to make necessary budget transfers to close the fiscal year in conjunction with Gorman and Associates., P.C., the District’s independent auditor.
· The following depositories for school funds for the 2012-2013 fiscal year:
National Penn (KNBT)
Pennsylvania Local Government Investment Trust (PLGIT)
Pennsylvania School District Liquid Asset Fund (PSDLAF)
Pennsylvania Treasurer’s Investment Programs for Local Governments (INVEST)
Susquehanna Patriot Bank
· Alternate billing agreement for the Northampton Community College for the 2012-2013 fiscal year.
· Reappoint NASD Business Office as the 2012-2013 NASD tax collector for Bath Borough, Chapman Borough, Allen Township, Moore Township, and East Allen Township.
· Athletic ticket prices for the 2012-2013 school year as follows:
Senior Citizen (62+) $1.00
· Accept the 2012/2013 property tax reduction allocation at $1,470,337.95 to reduce property taxes and set the homestead/farmstead exclusion at the same fixed amount.
· Appoint the following nominees as Trustees to the Northampton Community College for the period of July 1, 2012, through June 30, 2018:
Bangor Area School District – Mr. Bruce D. Cameron
Bethlehem Area School District – Mrs. Loretta Leeson
Bethlehem Area School District – Mr. Jose Rosado
Easton Area School District – Mr. Robert R. Fehnel
Wilson Area School District – Ms. Janis Krieger
· Treasurer’s Report.
· Agreement in Lieu of FAPE for a special education student.
· The following Fund Balance amounts and classifications:
A. $432,976 for Inventory and $124,624 for PrePaid Expenses as Nonspendable Fund Balance Reserves.
B. $2,043,678 for future PSERS rate increases, $885,394 for a new Middle School, $1,500,000 Capital Reserve Transfer for Facility
Capital Improvements, $500,000 for District Wide Technology Purchases, and $128,063 for OPEB Obligations as Committed
Fund Balance Reserves.
· Renewal agreement with K12 Systems, Inc., of Allentown, Pennsylvania, for software licensing, support, and hosting at a cost of $80,706.22 for the 2012-2013 school year.
· Agreement with Blackboard, Inc., for mass communication services using Blackboard Connect with an annual cost of $1.85 per student per year from July 1, 2012, through June 30, 2015.
· Bills for Payment.
· Expulsion Hearing Waiver for Elementary School student number 2011-20.