THE MORNING AFTER
A Capsule of the board of education’s deliberations and actions
Regular board meeting
FEBRUARY 25, 2013
(Unofficial Summary Subject to Revision)
At the regular meeting of the Board of Education, the Board approved the following:
· Resignation of Sharlene “Charlie” Laureigh, Confidential Secretary, effective the end of the day March 1, 2013.
· Resignation of Maureen Sproul, Assistant Principal/Interim Principal, for the purpose of super-annuated retirement, effective June 30, 2013.
· Resignation of Beverly Yankowy, Confidential Benefits Secretary, for the purpose of super-annuated retirement, effective the end of the day September 13, 2013.
· One-to-One Personal Care Assistant position for a student with special needs in an Out-of-District placement.
· The following additions to the District Volunteer Master Listing for the 2012-2013 school year:
Amy Jo Decker Moore
Jennifer George Band
· The following revised list to the Athletic Event Staff for the 2012-2013 school year:
Kelly Backenstoe Ticket Seller/Collector
Dave Remaley Basketball Scorekeeper
Melissa Adams Swimming Intramurals
George Anthony Ticket Seller/Collector
Joseph Augustine Wrestling Scorekeeper
Jeff Brosky Weight Room/Security
Ben Childs Basketball Intramurals
Rich Gierula Weight Room/Security
Colin Kessler Basketball Intramurals
Brandon Kinsey Weight Room/Security
Dennis Roman Weight Room/Security
Michael Bauer Basketball Intramurals
· Contract for Mrs. Jeanette Gilliland as the Northampton Area School District Assistant Superintendent of Schools for a term beginning July 1, 2013, through June 30, 2018, and approve a contract for employment for an initial salary of $123,994.87, which represents a 2% increase of her 2012-2013 salary, subject to the terms and conditions contained therein including a 2% increase to her salary each year over the length of the contract.
· Dr. Kathleen E. Ott to attend the Keystones to Opportunity Conference in Lancaster, Pennsylvania, on March 11 and 12, 2013. The cost to the District will not exceed $228.10.
· The following Assistant Coaches with their designated payments and no benefits, effective for the 2013-2014 school year:
Jon Holota – Assistant Baseball Coach 50% of 80% stipend - $1,898.00
William Gillespie – Assistant Track Coach 87% of 100% stipend - $4,129.00
· Stefani Kerbacher, Short Term Substitute Grade 2 Elementary Teacher at Moore Elementary, effective on or about March 11, 2013, through the end of the 2012-2013 school year, at the per diem rate of $125.00, without benefits.
· Kristen Fricke, Short Term Substitute Special Education Teacher at George Wolf Elementary, effective on or about March 22, 2013, through the end of the 2012-2013 school year, at the per diem rate of $125.00, without benefits, pending receipt of certification.
· Adoption of the following policies, effective February 25, 2013: 105.1 – Curriculum Review by Parents/Guardians and Students; 122.1 – Club Sports; 216 – Student Records; 248 – Unlawful Harassment; 324 – Personnel Files; 354 – Pre-Employment Drug Testing; 424 – Personnel Files; 454 – Pre-Employment Drug Testing; 524 – Personnel Files; and 554 – Pre-Employment Drug Testing.
· Contract with Clark Contractors, Inc., for electrical, audio-visual, and installation services to install LCD projectors into District elementary classrooms at a cost of $227,380.18.
· Treasurer’s Report.
· Bills for Payment.
· State Audit Report for the years ended June 30, 2009, and 2010.
· Authorize the administration to work with PFM for the issuance of General Obligation Bonds, Series A of 2013, in the approximate amount of $20,000,000 for the purpose of funding a portion of the new Middle School Project.
· Tax Exonerations.
· Edline, LLC d/b/a Blackboard Engage to provide professional services for website redesign at a cost of $6,375.
· Agreement with Lehigh University for the rental of Stabler Arena for the 2013 graduation ceremonies at a rate of $8,000.00 plus any actual expenses.
· Northampton Area Youth Lacrosse Club to organize and meet under the direction of Northampton Area Youth Lacrosse at no expense to the District.
· $2,150 donation to Northampton Area School District from the Northampton Area Konkrete Kids Educational Foundation for the purpose of purchasing document cameras for District faculty members and Ipad apps for the George Wolf Grade 2 students.