THE MORNING AFTER
A Capsule of the board of education’s deliberations and actions
Regular board meeting
October 14, 2013
(Unofficial Summary Subject to Revision)
At the regular meeting of the Board of Education, the Board approved the following:
· Stephanie David, a paid Childbearing Leave beginning on or about February 24, 2014, through May 1, 2014, and an FMLA Childrearing Leave, with no pay, but with benefits, per Federal Government regulations, for the period beginning on or about May 2, 2014, through the end of the 2013-2014 school year.
· Resignation of Christine Marto, Long Term Substitute German Teacher, effective October 18, 2013.
· Additions and deletions to the Substitute Listings for the 2013-2014 school year.
· Resignation of Benjamin Childs as Assistant Boys Basketball Coach, effective October 8, 2013.
· The following additions to the District Volunteer Master Listing for the 2013-2014 school year:
Tracy Fry Borough
Tanya Heckman Lehigh
Theresa Szeplaki George Wolf
· Resignation of Maria Pulli as Assistant Principal in the Borough Elementary Schools, effective December 6, 2013, or earlier if a suitable replacement is found.
· Mr. Mertz, Mrs. Winchester, and thirty (30) students to attend/participate in the 2014 Music Competition in Williamsburg, Virginia, from April 24, 2014, through April 27, 2014. Total cost to the District will be $1,800.00, which is included in the Board approved 2013-2014 Curriculum budget.
· Ms. Anita Mateyak, advisor of the Northampton FBLA Club, and Mr. John LaBarre to accompany five FBLA student members to attend the PA FBLA State Leadership Workshop on November 10 and 11, 2013. Cost to the District is $293.69, which is included in the 2013-2014 Board approved Curriculum budget.
· Rate adjustment for Deborah DeLillo-DiCanto to Level I Short Term Substitute teacher status, with a daily rate of $125.00, without benefits, with salary adjustments to be made retroactive to September 3, 2013, through November 19, 2013.
· Change from daily rates to hourly rates for substitute professional employees to meet benefit requirements in the Affordable Health Care Act, effective immediately.
· Revised Community Education roster for the 2013-14 school year.
· Candice Pinto, Short Term Substitute Special Education Teacher at the Middle School, effective retroactive to October 11, 2013, through on or about January 16, 2014, at the per diem rate of $125.00, without benefits.
· Updated listing of Assistant Coaches for Girls Basketball, effective for the 2013-2014 school year:
Edward Seidick – 100% of 90% of $5,877 = $5,289
Gregory Csencsits – 100% of 90% of $5,877 = $5,289
Juliann Maurek – 100% of 90% of $5,877 = $5,289
Andrew Snyder – 80% of 80% of $5,877 = $3,761
· Kevin Mann, Girls Softball Head Coach, for a total compensation of 80% of the coaching stipend at $6,972.80, with no benefits, pursuant to the current Collective Bargaining Agreement between NASD and NAEA effective for the 2013-2014 school year.
· Contract between the Northampton Area School District and Mr. Paul Buechle as a Psychoeducational Evaluator effective October 28, 2013. The contract will terminate on June 30, 2014. Mr. Buechle will be paid $525.00 per completed evaluation, plus mileage.
· Dr. Kathleen E. Ott, Ms. Melissa Monteith, Mr. Stephen Seier, Ms. Krista Green, and Ms. Deidre Vachier to attend the Keystones to Opportunity Conference in Frazer, Pennsylvania, on November 13, 14, and 15, 2013. The cost to the District will not exceed $743.00 for mileage.
· Ms. Krista Green, NASD Literacy Coach, to attend the three-day PIIC – Statewide Learning Opportunity for Instructional Coaches on October 29, 30, and 31, 2013, at Penn State University, Pennsylvania. The cost to the District will not exceed $189.84.
· Contracts for Speech and Language services at Colonel John Siegfried Elementary School at a cost not to exceed $9,500.00.
· Contract with a Speech and Language Clinician for a Mandarin Chinese Speech and Language Evaluation at a cost not to exceed $1,500.00 to be paid out of ACCESS monies.
· Adoption of the following policies, effective October 15, 2013: 607 – Tax Exoneration for Tax Collection, 836 – Marketing (PHI), 837 – Breach of Unsecured Protected Health Information (PHI), 838 – Requests for Access to Protected Health Information (PHI), 839 – Requests for an Accounting of Disclosures of Protected Health Information (PHI), 840 – Requests for Restrictions on the Use and/or Disclosure of Protected Health Information (PHI), 841 – Sales of Protected Health Information (PHI) and Electronic Health Records, and 842 – Use of Authorization (PHI).
· A five (5) year service agreement with Eastern Time of Allentown, Pennsylvania, for service and inspections of the fire alarm systems at Franklin Elementary and Washington’s Crossing at an annual cost of $350.00 per location; effective November 1, 2013, through October 31, 2018.
· Administration to prepare and solicit annual bids for the following services and supplies: Maintenance/Custodian Supplies, Instructional/General Supplies, Athletic Suppies, Gasoline/Diesel, and Fuel Oil/Natural Gas for FY2014-15.
· Annual service agreement with AssetWorks, Inc., for database application service, support and maintenance at a cost of $1,350 for the period October 1, 2013, through September 30, 2014.
· 2013-2014 Budget Transfers.
· Bills for Payment.
· Resolution to adopt the 2013 HIPAA Privacy Policies, effective September 23, 2013.
· Two Resolutions to adopt the Fiscal Year Plan and Measurement Periods under “The Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act”.