THE MORNING AFTER
A Capsule of the board of education’s deliberations and actions
Regular board meeting
MAY 23, 2016
(Unofficial Summary Subject to Revision)
At the regular meeting of the Board of Education, the Board approved the following:
· Matthew Sawarynski as Board Treasurer for the term of July 1, 2016, through June 30, 2017.
· Lacey Snyder, a paid childbearing leave of absence, beginning September 6, 2016, through October 7, 2016, and an unpaid FMLA childrearing leave, with insurance, beginning October 10, 2016, through October 28, 2016, as per Federal Government regulations.
· Resignation of Robert Lawlor as Student Council Advisor, effective at the end of the 2015-2016 school year.
· Resignation of Mariacruz Urtasun as Spanish Club Advisor, effective for the 2016-2017 school year.
· Jolene Zito an unpaid leave of absence, beginning May 11, 2016, through May 31, 2016.
· Termination of temporary assignments effective June 9, 2016.
· Updated job descriptions for the following positions: School Librarian, Instructional Assistant – Elementary Library, and Instructional Assistant – Secondary Library, effective May 24, 2016.
· Additions and deletions to the Substitute Listing for the 2015-2016 school year.
· Resignation of Michele Paumen as Marching Band Color Guard Instructor, effective April 14, 2016.
· Resignation of Angela Carlson as Lafarge Team Leader, effective at the end of the 2015-2016 school year.
· Revised Master District Volunteer List for the 2015-16 school year.
· Contract for Mr. Terry Leh as the Northampton Area School District Business Administrator at an annual salary of $130,463.15 for a term beginning July 1, 2016, through June 30, 2021, subject to the terms and conditions contained therein.
· Voluntary transfer of Ronald Morey, Jr., from Middle Shift Custodian at the Middle School to Day Shift Custodian at Franklin Elementary, effective May 24, 2016, with no change in base salary.
· Teachers and 1:1 Instructional Assistants to provide Extended School Year (ESY) and Chapter 15/Section 504 Services for the summer 2016.
· Security Guard employees to work at the High School and Middle School campus during the summer of 2016, at their regular hourly rate of pay, and if necessary, substitutes at the approved substitute rate of pay.
· Collective Bargaining Agreement with the Northampton Area Educators Association, as presented for the school years 2016-2017 to 2018-2019.
· Title I Summer Camp which will be held from July 18 through July 28, 2016, at the Siegfried Elementary School. Student cost for the eight (8) day summer S.T.E.A.M. literacy program is $20.00 per student. The fee is returned at the conclusion of the camp to students with no unexcused absences. Also approve listed staff members who will be paid directly with Title I funds, at no cost to the District.
Instructor – Melinda Jacobson
Instructor – Katy Dremock
Instructor – Dana Werkheiser
Instructor – Hillary Hartzell
· KTO Summer School Course: Keystone Prep – English Literature. Approve the two (2) instructors – Krista Ames and Lindsay Santanasto, both District employees with Secondary English certification. The courses are fully funded through the KTO Grant, at no cost to the District.
· Award the FY 2016-17 Supply and Equipment Bids for art, audio visual, cleaning, maintenance, general art, health, computer and general supplies to the various vendors as listed on the summary report at a total cost of $176,536.70.
· Athletic ticket prices for the 2016-17 school year as follows:
Senior Citizen (62+) Free
· The 2016-2017 property tax reduction allocation at $1,466,866.15 to reduce property taxes and set the homestead/farmstead exclusion at the same fixed amount.
· Administration to pay final invoices applicable to the 2015-2016 budget and to make necessary budget transfers to close the fiscal year in conjunction with Gorman and Associates, P.C., the District’s independent auditor.
· Northampton Area School District Business Office as the 2016-2017 Northampton Area School District tax collector for Bath Borough, Chapman Borough, Allen Township, Moore Township, East Allen Township, and Lehigh Township.
· Treasurer’s Report.
· Tax Exonerations/Changes.
· Bills for Payment.
· Signature by the Board President the Engagement Letter and Concurrent Representation Letter for the Levin Legal Group, P.C. to represent the District in the case Arts Academy Charter School, et. al. v. Commonwealth of Pennsylvania, Department of Education, et. al. Commonwealth Ct. Docket No. 50 MD 2016. The Superintendent or his designee and C. Steven Miller, Solicitor shall serve as “Authorized Representatives” for the District as that term is defined in the Engagement Letter.
· Elect the following to fill the vacancies on the Northampton Community College Board of Trustees for the term of July 1, 2016 to June 30, 2022:
Mr. Randy Galiotto, Easton Area School District
Mr. R. Charles Stehly, Bethlehem Area School District
Mr. Karl Stackhouse, Pen Argyl Area School District