THE MORNING AFTER
A Capsule of the board of education’s deliberations and actions
Regular board meeting
SEPTEMBER 26, 2016
(Unofficial Summary Subject to Revision)
At the regular meeting of the Board of Education, the Board approved the following:
· Robin Zamadics, a paid leave of absence, beginning September 13, 2016, through December 23, 2016 - AM, and an unpaid FMLA leave, with benefits, per Federal Government regulations, on December 23, 2016 – PM.
· Stephanie Maurer, a paid childbearing/childrearing leave of absence, beginning August 22, 2016, through September 30, 2016, and an unpaid FMLA childrearing leave, with insurance, beginning October 3, 2016, through October 7, 2016, as per Federal Government regulations.
· Instructional Assistants who possess valid teaching certificates as substitute teachers for the 2016-2017 school year.
· Additions and deletions to the Substitute Listing for the 2016-2017 school year.
· Angela Kohrt, a paid childbearing leave of absence, beginning on or about November 24, 2016, through January 4, 2017, and an unpaid FMLA childrearing leave, with insurance waived, beginning January 5, 2107, through February 24, 2017, as per Federal Government regulations.
· Revised Master District Volunteer List for the 2016-17 school year.
· Revised Mentor/Inductee List for the 2016-2017 School Year including the mentors and stipend payment for the 2016-2017 School Year.
· Donna Teklits to attend The Attendance/Child Accounting Professional Association annual conference on November 2 - 4, 2016, at a cost to the District of $898.80.
· East Stroudsburg University Memorandum of Understanding regarding the Pre K-12 Educator Tuition Program (P.E.T. Program) for direct billing to staff tuition or pre-approved coursework.
· A partial listing of coaches and advisors for their first half stipends of the 2016-2017 school year.
· Terry Leh to attend the annual PASBO Conference in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, from March 21 – March 24, 2017, at an approximate cost of $1,247.00.
· Maria Martuscelli, District Floating Custodian, effective retroactive to September 19, 2016. Her rate of pay will be $18.83 per hour, 85% of the current hourly rate, with benefits, in accordance with the Collective Bargaining Agreement between NASD and Teamsters Local 773.
· Current professional teaching staff employees as potential Homebound Instructors, effective September 19, 2016, through the last day of the 2016-2017 school year. In accordance with the current Collective Bargaining Agreement between NASD and NAEA, the hourly rate of pay for homebound instruction is:
Bachelor’s Degree - $45.69 per hour Master’s Degree - $50.15 per hour
· The following addition to the Athletic Event Staff for the 2016-2017 school year:
Jalen Nichols Ticket Taker/Ticket Seller/Game Manager
· Two (2) 1-1 Instructional Assistant positions for the 2016-2017 school year, with salary and benefits in accordance with the Collective Bargaining Agreement between NASD and ESPA, to be paid through Access Monies.
· Voluntary transfer of Jennifer Nixon from Special Education Instructional Assistant at Moore Elementary to Special Education Instructional Assistant at Lehigh Elementary, effective September 27, 2016, with no change salary and paid from Access Monies.
· Rebecca Licini, Special Education Instructional Assistant at Moore Elementary School, effective September 27, 2016. Her salary will be $11.55 per hour, with benefits, in accordance with the ESPA Agreement.
· Cullen Mentzell, Head Varsity Swim Coach, with a stipend of $7,872.30, 90% of the Head Coach Stipend, effective September 27, 2016.
· Kelly Kauffman, 10-Month High School Attendance Secretary, effective October 3, 2016. Her salary will be $16.44 per hour, 80% of the position rate, with benefits, in accordance with the Collective Bargaining Agreement between NASD and NAESPA.
· Janet Colburn, Short Term Substitute Special Education Teacher at Siegfried Elementary, effective October 3, 2016, through December 23, 2016, at a daily rate of $125.00, no benefits.
· Adoption of revised Policy 806 – Child Abuse, effective September 27, 2016.
· Title III program – “Embracing English for Adults” (EEFA) which will be held from October 12, 2016, through December 7, 2016, at the High School. Parent will be able to attend at no cost. Additionally, there is no cost to the District for providing this instruction for the parents. Approve the following staff members who will be paid with Title III funds, at no cost to the District:
ESL Instructor – Paula Ulrich
ESL Instructor – Allison Knerr
ESL Instructor – Christine Nemeh
· Treasurer’s Report.
· Authorize Berkheimer OneSource, Bethlehem, Pa., to prepare and mail the homestead applications on behalf of Northampton Area School District in accordance with Act 72 of 2004 and Act 1 of 2006 at a rate of $0.324 each in accordance with the attached proposal.
· Portnoff Law Associates, Ltd., to collect the 2016 delinquent real estate taxes.
· Bills for Payment.
· 2017 copier leases with Fraser Advanced Information Systems to extend a month to month basis until November 2017.
· Four-year contract with Naviance to streamline and expedite the multiple student services pertaining to college and career exploration and readiness, at a cost to the District of $27,586.00, to be paid through the Northampton Area High School budget and the KtO Grant as follows:
Year One: $10,084 (additional cost for Professional Development)
Year Two: $5,834
Year Three: $5,834
Year Four: $5,834
· Contract with “Providastaff/EDUHealthcare” for a certified Special Education Teacher to provide home instruction for students with special needs at a cost not to exceed $40,000.00 to be paid as part of the 2016-2017 approved Budget and Access Monies.
· Accept, with appreciation, the donation of approximately 4,253 tooth brushing kits from Dr. Michael Taras for the elementary schools, Middle School, and two non-public schools, at a total value of approximately $8,506.00.
· Attendance of Board member, Mr. Charles Longacre, at the 2016 PAGE Conference on November 17 and 18, 2016, at a cost of $343.15.
· Authorize the administration to commit Northampton Area School District’s continued participation in the RWAN adding a secondary Internet access provider at a cost of $3,227.02 per month, less E-Rate discounts.
· Expulsion Hearing Waiver for High School student number 2016-01.