THE MORNING AFTER
A Capsule of the board of education’s deliberations and actions
Regular board meeting
OCTOBER 10, 2016
(Unofficial Summary Subject to Revision)
At the regular meeting of the Board of Education, the Board approved the following:
· Lataisha Diokmedjian, a paid leave of absence beginning October 3, 2016 – PM, through October 19, 2016, and an unpaid FMLA leave of absence, beginning October 20, 2016, through November 14, 2016, with insurance, as per Federal Government regulations.
· Crystal Becker, an extension to her unpaid leave of absence through the remainder of the 2016-2017 school year, no insurance.
· Resignation, for the purpose of retirement, of April Jensen from the position of Instructional Assistant, effective the end of the day, January 4, 2017.
· Additions and deletions to the Substitute Listing for the 2016-2017 school year.
· Revised Master District Volunteer List for the 2016-17 school year.
· Revised Community Education Program Fall 2016 Roster of Instructors and Sitpends.
· Voluntary transfer of Jamie Horvath from Instructional Support Mathematics Teacher at Siegfried Elementary School to K-12 Classroom Technology Lead Teacher, effective November 2, 2016, with no change in salary or benefits.
· Sandy Hudson, Special Education Instructional Assistant at Moore Elementary School, effective no later than October 24, 2016. Her salary will be $12.27 per hour, with benefits, in accordance with the ESPA Agreement and paid from Access Monies.
· LaRea Henninger, Long Term Substitute Library Aide at the Middle School, effective for the remainder of the 2016-2017 school year, with benefits and no change in salary, and with the intent of returning her to a Hall Monitor position for the 2017-18 school year.
· Frances Heffelfinger, Long Term Substitute Hall Monitor at the Middle School, effective for the remainder of the 2016-2017 school year. Her salary will be $11.55 per hour, effective retroactive to August 29, 2016, with limited benefits, in accordance with the ESPA Agreement.
· Memorandums of Agreement between the Northampton Area School District and the Northampton Area Educators Association (NAEA) for the school years 2016-2017 to 2018-2019.
· Department and District Coordinators and Middle School Subject Leaders’ compensations effective retroactive to September 1, 2016, through August 31, 2017.
· Listing of head coaches and assistant coaches with their designated payments, effective for the 2016-2017 school year.
· Extra-Curricular and Supplemental Positions for the 2016-2017 school year.
· Voluntary transfer of Janice Gober from Grade 4 teacher at Siegfried Elementary School to Mathematics Instructional Support Teacher at Siegfried Elementary School, effective November 2, 2016, with no change in salary and benefits.
· Updated job description for the Classroom Lead Technology Teacher, effective October 11, 2016.
· Colonial Intermediate Unit 20 Service Agreement to plan, design, and train administrators and teachers to implement a hybrid learning approach in the Northampton Area High School at a cost of $12,500.00 to be funded through the Keystone to Opportunities Grant.
· Bills for Payment.
· Authorize Administration to prepare and solicit annual bids for the following supplies and services for the 2017-18 school year: Maintenance/Custodial Supplies, Instructional/General Supplies, Gasoline/Diesel, and Fuel Oil/Natural Gas.
· Authorize the administration to work with PFM for the issuance of General Obligation Bonds to refund the School District’s General Obligation Bonds – Series of 2011 and Series A of 2011 for a net minimum savings target of 2%.
· 2016-17 Budget Transfers.
· Attendance of Board Member, Mr. Charles Longacre, at the 2016 PAGE Conference on November 17 and 18, 2016, at a cost of $398.15.
· Attendance of Board Members, Mr. David Gogel and Mr. Chuck Longacre, and Superintendent, Mr. Joseph Kovalchik, at the PASA/PSBA School Leadership Conference in Hershey, Pennsylvania, at an estimated cost of $2,616.52.
· Expulsion Hearing Waiver for High School student number 2016-03.
· Expulsion Hearing Waiver for High School student number 2016-02.
· Resignation of Jennifer Miller from the Northampton Area School District Board of Education effective October 11, 2016.