THE MORNING AFTER
A Capsule of the board of education’s deliberations and actions
Regular board meeting
march 27, 2017
(Unofficial Summary Subject to Revision)
At the regular meeting of the Board of Education, the Board approved the following:
· Lori Rehrig, a paid FMLA leave of absence, for medical reasons, beginning March 28, 2017, through April 3, 2017, and an unpaid FMLA leave beginning April 4, 2017, through May 9, 2017, with insurance, as per Federal Government regulations.
· Lori Emery, a paid childbearing leave of absence, beginning on or about May 30, 2017, through June 5, 2017 – AM, and an unpaid FMLA childbearing leave, beginning June 5, 2017 – PM, through the end of the 2016-2017 school year, with insurance, as per Federal Government regulations.
· Additions and deletions to the Substitute Listing for the 2016-2017 school year.
· Resignation of Zachary Marlatt as Assistant Wrestling Coach, effective March 21, 2017.
· Revised Master District Volunteer List for the 2016-17 school year.
· Mrs. Tara Mrazik, Mrs. Maryann Miller, Mrs. Neali Feimster, Mrs. Jaclyn Grejda, Mr. Matthew Greenplate, and Mr. Ryan Brobst to attend the DECA International Conference along with forty eight (48) DECA students, on April 25 - May 1, 2017, in Anaheim, California. Maximum cost to the District will be $2,500.00. All costs to the District are included in the Board approved 2016-2017 high school budget.
· Dr. Kathleen E. Ott, Mrs. Krista Ames, Mrs. Alyza Commareri, and Mrs. Nicolette Teles to attend the Pennsylvania Literacy Conference in Hershey, Pennsylvania, on June 27, 28, and 29, 2017. The cost to the District will not exceed $350.96.
· Cora Snyder, Assistant Principal of the Borough Elementary Schools, effective July 1, 2017. Salary will be $78,000, with benefits, and in accordance with the Act 93 Agreement.
· Summer School Instructors and their reimbursement based on the current Supplemental Reimbursement for Extra Services – Curriculum and Instruction. Effective dates for the program will be June 19, 2017, through July 27, 2017.
· Mr. Sansone and approximately 47 students and 12 chaperones to travel to Williamsburg, VA, on April 6, 7, 8, and 9, 2017. The cost to the District will not exceed $400.00, and is covered in the 2016-2017 Board approved curriculum budget.
· Salvatore Martuscelli, Third Shift Custodian (Sunday through Thursday) at the High School, effective on or about April 30, 2017. His base rate of pay will be $18.83 per hour, 85% of the current hourly rate, with benefits, in accordance with the Collective Bargaining Agreement between NASD and Teamsters Local 773.
· Voluntary transfer of Eric Bauer from Maintenance II to Tuesday through Saturday, Middle Shift Custodian at Siegfried Elementary School, effective April 11, 2017. His base rate of pay will be $19.94 per hour, 90% of the current hourly rate, with benefits, in accordance with the Collective Bargaining Agreement between NASD and Teamsters Local 773.
· Ryan Branton, Middle Shift Maintenance II, effective April 11, 2017, pending receipt of proper documentation. His base rate of pay will be $21.34 per hour, 90% of the current hourly rate, with benefits, in accordance with the Collective Bargaining Agreement between NASD and Teamsters Local 773.
· Mrs. Pretopapa and approximately forty (40) students and four (4) chaperones to travel to New York, NY, on Wednesday, April 19, 2017, for a National Honor Society educational field trip. The cost to the District will not exceed $400.00, and is covered in the 2016-2017 Board approved curriculum budget.
· KTO Summer School Keystone Preparation Courses in Literature, Alegbra I, and Biology. The courses will be funded through the Year #5 KTO Grant, at no cost to the District.
· Title I Summer Camp in Reading and Math for 160 students in Grades K, 1, 2, 3, and 4. Student cost for the eight (8) day summer Title I Reading and Math Camp will be $20.00 per student. The fee will be returned at the conclusion of the camp to students with no unexcused absences. The Title I “Super Heroes” Summer Camp will be funded through the 2016-2017 Title I grant.
· Camp Invention and Invention Project Summer Enrichment Programs which will be held from June 19 through June 22, 2017, at the Siegfried Elementary School and the Northampton Area Middle School. Student cost for the four day summer STEM activities programs is $145.00 for 3-5 and $175.00 for 6-8 grade students. These reduced prices have been made possible by a contribution from the Northampton Konkrete Kids Educational Foundation. There is no cost to the district for these programs.
· Treasurer’s Report.
· 2017-18 Colonial IU 20 General Operating Budget in the amount of $3,403,740 with the Northampton Area School District portion of $40,887.53 required to fund the budget.
· A 60 month lease with Fraser Advanced Information Systems for 21 copiers to be located throughout the District at a cost of $5,203.73/month.
· Tax Exonerations/Changes.
· Addition of the Sapphire Notification System to our existing SIS agreement with K12 Systems at an annual cost of $14,419 per year and renewable annually.
· Bills for Payment.
· Accept with appreciation a donation of 200 elementary level books to Northampton Area School District from the Logistics & Material Handling program at LCTI and First Book.
· Memorandum of Understanding with Big Smiles Dental to provide required dental exam services to grades Kindergarten, 3, and 7, for the 2017-18 school year, at no cost to the District.
· Donation of a DJI Phantom 4 Quadcopter drone to the Northampton Area School District from Mr. Satish Mohapatra, President and CEO of Dynalene, Inc. The approximate value of the donation is $949.00.