THE MORNING AFTER
A Capsule of the board of education’s deliberations and actions
Regular board meeting
SEPTEMBER 25, 2017
(Unofficial Summary Subject to Revision)
At the regular meeting of the Board of Education, the Board approved the following:
· Updated job descriptions for Director of Special Education, Assistant Director of Special Education, Superintendent, and Supervisor of Transportation, effective September 25, 2017.
· Denise Cole an unpaid leave of absence, beginning September 13, 2017, through September 21, 2017, no insurance.
· Resignation of Rachel Knepp from the position of Mathematics Teacher, effective September 30, 2017.
· Resignation of Mary Elizabeth Winchester from the position of Instructional Assistant, effective October 6, 2017.
· Resignation of Daniel Benner as Assistant Track Coach, effective September 14, 2017.
· Additions and deletions to the Substitute Listing for the 2017-2018 school year.
· Revised Master District Volunteer List for the 2017-18 school year.
· Mrs. Christina Thrash, Mr. Gene Thrash, and Mrs. Amanda Millhouse to chaperone the student Education First Educational Tour for approximately 20 students to the Ancient Mediterranean areas of Greece and Italy occurring from July 11 to July 23, 2018. There will no cost to the District for this trip.
· Terry Leh and Jason Williamson to attend the annual PASBO Conference in Hershey, Pennsylvania, from March 6 – March 9, 2018, at an approximate cost of $2,021.00.
· Mentor/Inductee List for the 2017-2018 School Year including the mentors and stipend payment for the 2017-2018 school year.
· Ms. Laura Tominaj to attend the 2017 Kappa Delta Pi Convocation in Pittsburgh, PA, on October 26-28, 2017, at an approximate District cost of $200.00. The amount is included in the 2017-2018 Board approved curriculum budget conference expenses.
· Tama Minnich, Short Term Substitute Grade 3 Teacher at George Wolf Elementary School, effective October 13, 2017, through December 22, 2017. Her salary will be $125.00 per day, without benefits.
· Rita Greb, Cafeteria Monitor at the High School, effective October 10, 2017. Her hourly rate will be $12.07, without benefits, in accordance with the Collective Bargaining Agreement between NASD and ESPA.
· Contract for Joseph S. Kovalchik as the Northampton Area School District Superintendent of Schools at an initial salary of $162,000.00 for a term beginning July 1, 2018, through June 30, 2023, subject to the terms and conditions contained therein.
· Attendance of Board Members, Dr. Michael Baird, Mr. David Gogel, and Mr. Chuck Longacre, at the PASA/PSBA School Leadership Conference in Hershey, Pennsylvania, at an estimated cost of $2,377.48.
· The following extra-curricular staff members and stipends for the 2017-2018 school year:
Michelle Costanzo - Step Team Co-Advisor – High School - $400.00
Pamela Romanishan - Step Team Co-Advisor – High School - $400.00
· A five (5) year Service Agreement with ThyssenKrupp Elevator Corporation of Allentown, Pennsylvania, for the three (3) elevators at the High School and the one (1) elevator at Siegfried Elementary at an annual fee of $4,800.00 for the term of September 2017 through August 2022.
· Treasurer’s Report.
· Tax Exonerations/Changes.
· Collaborative Agreement/Contract for Services between Community Services for Children, Inc., Head Start of the Lehigh Valley and Northampton Area School District for 2017-2018 to implement a second Head Start Pre-K for twenty Pre-K students residing in our District, including Title I funds in the amount $40,000 to support this classroom at George Wolf Elementary.
· Bills for Payment.
· Letter of Agreement between the Northampton Area School District and Colonial Intermediate Unit 20 for the purpose of providing Professional Development to the identified Non-Public School Teachers through the Title IIA grant submission in the amount of $8,595.19. These costs for the Non-Public School Professional Development are covered through the 2017-2018 Title IIA grant with no additional costs to the Northampton Area School District.
· Letter of Agreement between the Northampton Area School District and Colonial Intermediate Unit 20 for the purpose of providing 1) remedial instruction in reading and math to non-proficient students in qualifying non-public schools at a cost of: 1) $13,110.00 for instruction, 2) $132.00 for parent involvement programming, and 3) Colonial IU20 administrative service fee at 3% of the total. These costs for the Non-Public School services are covered through the 2017-2018 Title I grant.
· Collaborative Agreement/ Contract for Services between Community Services for Children, Inc. and Northampton Area School District for 2017-2018 to implement a new ‘Pre-K Counts’ Classroom at Moore Elementary School. This is at no cost to the Northampton Area School District.
· AAC evaluation for a student with special needs not to exceed $705.00. This amount is included in the Board approved Special Education budget.
· Contracts for Ms. Erika Condomitti and Ms. Anna Gocek to provide Homebound Instruction for a Northampton Area School District student at a cost not to exceed $19,000.00, which amount is included in the 2017-18 Board approved budget.
· Accept, with appreciation, a $3,142.48 donation to Northampton Area School District from the Northampton Area Konkrete Kids Educational Foundation for the purpose of purchasing WiFi connections to support the District Project Pride Chromebook initiative.
· Accept with appreciation, a donation of school supplies for needy students at George Wolf Elementary School from Zion’s Stone UCC Church, Northampton, Pennsylvania.