THE MORNING AFTER
A Capsule of the board of education’s deliberations and actions
Regular board meeting
may 21, 2018
(Unofficial Summary Subject to Revision)
At the regular meeting of the Board of Education, the Board approved the following:
· Appoint Matthew Sawarynski as Board Treasurer for the term of July 1, 2018, through June 30, 2019.
· Laura McHugh, an extension to her unpaid FMLA leave of absence, through May 11, 2018.
· Additions and deletions to the Substitute Listing for the 2017-2018 school year.
· List of Professional and Support Staff transfers effective with the 2018-2019 school year.
· Wilburt Bullsnake, an extension to his unpaid FMLA leave of absence, through on or about June 8, 2018.
· The following individuals to work in the Maintenance Trades areas, as noted, for the Summer of 2018 – June 18 – August 17, 2018. There will be no cost to the District, as employment is through Workforce Board Lehigh Valley:
Plumbing - Aaron Bauer - Northampton Area High School
Carpentry/Building Trades - Samantha Schock - Northampton AreaHigh School
Electrical- Christian Stezelberger - Northampton Area High School
HVAC- William Kidd - Liberty High School
· List of teachers and 1:1 Instructional Assistants to provide Extended School Year (ESY) and Chapter 15/Section 504 Services for the summer 2018.
· Amie Marks, TPE Science Teacher at the Middle School, effective August 20, 2018. Her salary will be $55,612.00, with benefits, based on a Master’s degree, Step 2; benefits in accordance with the Collective Bargaining Agreement between Northampton Area School District and NAEA.
· Accept the 2018-19 property tax reduction allocation at $1,468,350.04 to reduce property taxes and set the homestead/farmstead exclusion at the same fixed amount.
· Authorize the Administration to pay final invoices applicable to the 2017-18 budget and to make necessary budget transfers to close the fiscal year in conjunction with Gorman and Associates, P.C., the District’s independent auditor.
· Alternate billing agreement for the Northampton Community College for the 2018-2019 fiscal year.
· Treasurer’s Report.
· Tax Exonerations/Changes.
· Reappoint Northampton Area School District Business Office, as the 2018-2019 Northampton Area School District tax collector for Bath Borough, Chapman Borough, Allen Township, Moore Township, East Allen Township, Northampton Borough, and Lehigh Township.
· Bills for Payment.
· Settlement of the tax assessment appeal filed by Hills SMGC, LLC, for the tax year effective July 1, 2017, for Tax Parcel Nos. J6-5-9-0507 and J6-5-9-0520 (located in Chapman Borough and Moore Township in Northampton County) pursuant to the attached Stipulations of Counsel and authorize the District’s Solicitor to execute the Stipulations of Counsel on behalf of the School District. The Stipulations are effective for School District taxes on and after July 1, 2017. The Administration is authorized to refund to Hills SMGC, LLC, for any overpayment of taxes for the applicable year(s) of the settlement.
· Expulsion Hearing Waiver for student number 2017-05.
· Ms. Louis with child Saiya to attend the PDE Title I State Parent Conference at Seven Springs, PA, on July 10 – July 12, 2018, at a cost not to exceed $900.00. The cost of the conference will be covered through the Title I Parent Involvement funds which have been budgeted specifically for this purpose. There is no cost to the District for this conference.