THE MORNING AFTER
A Capsule of the board of education’s deliberations and actions
Regular board meeting
SEPTEMBER 10, 2018
(Unofficial Summary Subject to Revision)
At the regular meeting of the Board of Education, the Board approved the following:
· Resignation of Paula Ulrich, EL Teacher, for the purpose of super-annuated retirement, effective January 5, 2019.
· Resignation of Tina Carnathan-Marx from the position of Natatorium Aide, effective at the end of the day on August 28, 2018.
· Resignation of Robert Hahn as Boys Basketball Coach at the Middle School, effective August 28, 2018.
· Resignation of Kellie Ryan from the position of Hall Monitor, effective at the end of the day on August 31, 2018.
· Additions and deletions to the Substitute Listing for the 2018-2019 school year.
· Revised Master District Volunteer List for the 2018-2019 school year.
· Retirement of Eugene Hatcher from the position of District Security Officer, effective at the end of the day May 24, 2016.
· All current professional teaching staff employees as potential Homebound Instructors, retroactive to August 27, 2018, through the last day of the 2018-2019 school year. In accordance with the current Collective Bargaining Agreement between NASD and NAEA, the hourly rate of pay for homebound instruction is:
Bachelor’s Degree - $45.69 per hour
Master’s Degree - $50.15 per hour
· Mentor/Inductee List for the 2018-2019 School Year including the mentors and stipend payment for the 2018-2019 school year.
· Addition to the athletic coaching staff members and stipends list for the 2018-2019 school year.
· Attendance of Ms. Michelle Schoeneberger at the 2018 PA Association for Supervision and Curriculum Development Conference in Hershey, PA, on November 19-20, 2018, at an approximate cost of $500.95. The amount is included the 2018-2019 Board approved curriculum budget.
· Attendance of Ms. Michelle Schoeneberger at the 2018 PA Science Teachers Association Conference in State College, PA, on September 30 and October 1, 2018, at an approximate cost of $492.39. The amount is included the 2018-2019 Board approved curriculum budget.
· Voluntary transfer of Lisa King from Library Instructional Assistant at the High School to Special Education 12-Month Secretary, effective date dependent upon finding replacement for her current position. Her salary will be $17.43 per hour, 80% of the position rate, with benefits, in accordance with the Collective Bargaining Agreement between NASD and NAESPA.
· Continuation of the Community Education Program, with Sandra Bischof as Coordinator of the Program, for the 2018-2019 school year. Also, approve the list of anticipated Community Education classes and Roster of Instructors with Stipends for Fall 2018.
· Donna Teklits to attend The Attendance/Child Accounting Professional Association annual conference on October 29 -31, 2018, at a cost to the District of $949.65.
· Adoption of the following revised policies, effective September 11, 2018: 138 - Language Instruction Educational Program for English Learners; 216 - Student Records
· Municibid, a free internet web based program to sell unwanted Northampton Area School District equipment directly to the public as recommended by PASBO (Pennsylvania Association of School Business Officials) at no cost to the District. All proceeds from the sale of equipment would be returned to the District.
· In accordance with the requirements of the School Code (Act 34 of 1973) which governs the construction of a new school building, the Administration recommends that the School Board approve and adopt a Resolution which authorizes certain actions in connection with the construction of a new Lehigh Elementary School in Lehigh Township (the Project). Actions authorized by the Resolution include but are not limited to authorizing a public hearing to be held on October 8, 2018, at 5:30 p.m. in the cafeteria of the District’s High School located at 1619 Laubach Avenue, Northampton, PA; authorizing a maximum Project cost of $35,788,356 and a maximum building construction of $25,535,000; authorizing that the public hearing be advertised to the public on September 17, 2018; and authorizing that the Act 34 Hearing Booklet (which provides information about the Project) be available for public inspection beginning on September 18, 2018, to and including the date of the Act 34 Hearing on October 8, 2018.
· Letter of Agreement between the Northampton Area School District and Colonial Intermediate Unit 20 for the purpose of providing 1) remedial instruction in reading and math to non-proficient students in qualifying non-public schools at a cost of: 1) $22,914.00 for instruction, 2) $231.00 for parent involvement programming, and 3) Colonial IU20 administrative service fee at 3% of the total. These costs for the Non-Public School services are covered through the 2018-2019 Title I grant.
· Bills For Payment.
· Letter of Agreement between the Northampton Area School District and Colonial Intermediate Unit 20 for the purpose of providing Professional Development to the identified Non-Public School Teachers through the Title IIA grant submission in the amount of $7,520.00 along with an additional administrative service fee at 8% of the total. These costs for the Non-Public School Professional Development are covered through the 2018-2019 Title IIA grant agreement and allocation.
· A five (5) year service agreement effective September 1, 2018, through August 31, 2023, with Trane Building Services, for service to the Middle School’s HVAC’s direct digital controls systems at the following costs:
2018/2019 - $5,527.00
2019/2020 - $5,693.00
2020/2021 - $5,684.00
2021/2022 - $6,040.00
2022/2023 - $6,221.00
· Authorize the School Board Secretary to cast the Northampton Area School District’s Board of School Directors vote for the following PSBA Officers in accordance with the PSBA voting requirement: Eric Wolfgang as President-elect, Art Levinowitz as Vice President, Maura Buri as Eastern At Large, Amy Goldman as Section 8 Advisor , Richard Frerichs as PSBA Insurance Trustee – Seat 1, William LaCoff as PSBA Insurance Trustee – Seat 2, Nathan Mains PSBA Insurance Trustee – Seat 3, Brian Feick, Lorraine Rocco, and Bethanne Zeigler as Forum Steering Committee – 1 year term, Peter Bard and Denise LaPera as Forum Steering Committee – 2 year term, for this year’s PSBA officers.
· Accept with appreciation, a donation of school supplies for needy students at George Wolf Elementary School from Zion’s Stone UCC Church, Northampton, Pennsylvania.