northampton area school district
THE MORNING AFTER
A Capsule of the board of education’s deliberations and actions
Regular board meeting
JANUARY 28, 2019
(Unofficial Summary Subject to Revision)
At the regular meeting of the Board of Education, the Board approved the following:
· Minutes of the January 14, 2019, Regular Board Meeting.
· Employee #1488 an unpaid FMLA medical leave of absence beginning on or about June 4, 2019, through on or about June 5, 2019, with insurance, as per Federal Government Regulations.
· Resignation of Barbara Bleacher, Special Education Lead Teacher, for the purpose of superannuated retirement, effective June 5, 2019, or the last teacher day of the 2018-2019 school year.
· Employee #3181 an extension of an unpaid childrearing leave of absence through on or about April 30, 2019, no insurance.
· Additions and deletions to the Substitute List for the 2018-19 school year.
· Revised District Master Volunteer List for the 2018-19 school year.
· Employee #3417 an unpaid FMLA medical leave of absence beginning on or about February 12, 2019, through on or about April 17, 2019, with insurance, as per the Maintenance Collective Bargaining Agreement.
· Revised job descriptions for the following positions: Director of Special Education, Assistant Director of Special Education, Middle School Teacher and Technology Technician effective January 29, 2019.
· Revised Mentor/Inductee List for the 2018-2019 School Year including the mentors and stipend payment for the 2018-2019 school year.
· Matthew Sawarynski, Business Administrator, effective July 1, 2019, through June 30, 2022, and approve a contract for employment for an initial salary of $125,000, subject to the terms and conditions contained therein.
· Extra-curricular staff member and stipend for the 2018-2019 school year.
· Emily Reinsmith and one (1) student to attend the PMEA District 10 Chorus Festival at Exeter Township High School in Reading, PA. The student will be attending February 7 through 9, 2019. Mrs. Reinsmith will be attending on February 7, 2019. The approximate cost to the District is $235.00. The costs are included the Board approved 2018-2019 budget.
· Ashley Armstrong, LTS Special Education Teacher at Siegfried Elementary School, effective retroactive to January 22, 2019, through the end of the 2018-19 school year. Her salary will be $290.97, per diem, based on a Master’s degree and Step 1.
· Adoption of the following revised and new policies, effective January 15, 2019: 625 - Procurement Cards, 810.7 - School Vehicle Drivers, and 818 - Contracted Services Personnel.
· Camp Invention Summer Enrichment Program which will be held from June 17 through June 20, 2019, at the Northampton Area Middle School. Student cost for the four day summer STEM activities program is $150.00 for grades 2 -5 students and $130.00 for grades 6-8 Counselors-in-Training students. These reduced prices have been made possible by a contribution from the Northampton Konkrete Kids Educational Foundation. There is no cost to the District for this program.
· Revised curricula for Middle School and High School for the areas of Math, STEAM, Health, Oceanography, Earth and Space Science, and AP Psychology.
· Authorization to execute the Grant Of Right-Of-Way to PPL Electric Utilities Corporation (PPL) for the construction of poles and related electric facilities along the frontage of the Lehigh Elementary School adjacent to Blue Mountain Drive and for other purposes as set forth therein.
· Authorization for School Board President to accept the terms and conditions as set forth in the Lehigh Township Board of Supervisors grant of Conditional Approval dated January 8, 2019 for the School District’s Preliminary/Final Land Development Plan for the Lehigh Elementary School Project.
· PlanCon Part “F” for the “Construction Documents” and submission of PlanCon Part “F” to the Pennsylvania Department of Education for approval.
· Treasurer’s Report.
· Letter of Agreement and Fee Schedule from Vantagen, LLC to administer the District’s Flexible Spending Account (FSA) Benefit Plan for the period of July 1, 2019 through June 30, 2021 with the option to renew at the current fees for an additional two years.
· Approval of Preliminary Budget for 2019-2020 - That the School Board does approve the preliminary budget for fiscal year 2019-2020; the Revenues and Expenditures are as follows:
General Fund - $110,718,113, Athletic Fund - $ 251,935, Food Service Fund - $2,414,163.
The 2019-20 Preliminary Budget includes a 3.79% increase that totals 2.04 mills. The 19-20 Millage Rate is 55.87 mills.
The preliminary budget has been made available for public inspection at least twenty (20) days prior to adoption and public notice of the Board’s intent to adopt the preliminary budget has been given at least 10 days in advance pursuant to Act 1 of Special Session of 2006.
· Approval to seek Exceptions - That the School Board does hereby authorize the administration to seek approval from the Department of Education (Department) for certain exceptions allowed under Act 1, that if approved by the Department, will allow the School District to increase the rate of tax levied for the support of its schools during fiscal year 2019-2020 by more than the index allowed under Act 1 of Special Session 2006. The Board’s intent to seek exceptions shall be advertised in a newspaper of general circulation and on the District’s publicly accessible internet site at least one week prior to submitting the request to PDE.
· Authorization to advertise the intent to seek Exceptions - That the School Board does hereby authorize the administration to give notice in a newspaper of general circulation and on the School District's internet site (website) of the District’s intent to seek approval from the Department for exceptions.
· Tax Exonerations/Changes.
· Bills for Payment.
· Acceptance, with appreciation, the donation of a string bass with an estimated value of $500 from Ginny Wingard.
· Expulsion Hearing Waiver for student number 2018-02.
· Appointment of Cassandra Evanczik as a Trustee for the Northampton Area Public Library Board for the period of January 1, 2019 to December 31, 2021.
· Acceptance, with appreciation, the donation of $200 from Friends of Tomcat for the purchase of third grade books at the George Wolf Elementary School.